A few more reflections on L.L. Pathros Mar Osthathios Thirumeni

  • Jose Kurian
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2013
       Dear and Respected Brethren,
      Further to the reflections of Rev. Fr. M.K. Kuriakose and K.N Thomas Sir, may I submit a few personal reflections. From my very childhood, I had heard much about H.G. Mookkancheril Thirumeni and his mission works especially when we used to spend the holidays at our Mother’s house at Makkamkunnu, Pathanamthitta. St. Stephen’s Orthodox Church Makkamkunnu was a main center of activities of the movement ‘Servants of the Cross’ initiated by His Grace. When I was in the High School classes, we the friends used to roam in Railway Station on Friday afternoons as our School (MT Seminary High School) was very close to the Kottayam Railway Station and the lunch break was from 1 pm till 2.30 pm on Fridays in those days. One Friday afternoon I saw Thirumeni standing on the Platform waiting for a train. As soon as I identified His Grace I ran to the nearby book stall of Malayala Manoram and obtained a folding chair and again ran to Thirumeni and earnestly requested Thirumeni to sit. Thirumeni asked my whereabouts and enquired what reason had prompted me to get a chair for His Grace. I immediately told His Grace about my maternal uncle, M.G. Joshua, Kizhakkedathu  Mamkoottathil who had presented His Grace with a glass of lime juice from the nearby shop years back, when His Grace (In those days a priest) was standing at Kumbazha Junction waiting in the hot sun for a bus.

      In 1968 the OCYM annual camp was held at Piravam Valiya Palli. A large number of youngsters from Chengannur and nearby places, under the leadership of Babuchayan (Mr. K.T. Thomas of those days- the present Senior Metropolitan of the Holy Church H.G. Thomas Mar Athanasius) as well as a few from Kottayam and outskirts, including my younger brother, George Kurian, the present H.G. Geevarghese Mar Coorilos, Metropolitan of Mumbai Diocese) had travelled together in the same train as arranged earlier.  As soon as we got down at Mulanthuruthy Station, we decided to visit Carmel Dayara and the ailing His Grace. As soon as we reached the Dayara, we rushed to His Grace’s room, Thirumeni asked: Did you enter the Chapel and pray?” If not go soon and pray. See the heavenly Father before meeting the earthly father” We obeyed and had a very nice time with His Grace.

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril

      Kottayam.