Hierarchy Of Precedence In Selecting Godfathers And Godmothers For Baptism

  • georgy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2013
      Hi Friends,

      In our system, the Godfather for the first boy child is the paternal grandfather, and the Godmother for the first girl child is the paternal grandmother. For the second boy child and the second girl child, the maternal grandfather and grandmother respectively gets the opportunity to become the Godfather and the Godmother.

      Nowadays, it's rare to find couples having more than two children. Four is an extreme rare case. But as a person interested in our traditions, I would like to know if there's an order of precedence for selecting the Godfather and Godmother for the fifth born child onwards?

      Two generations before, it was common to find couples with more than ten children. In such cases, was there a system in place to select the Godfather and the Godmother? Hope someone can clarify?

      Best Regards,

      Georgy S. Thomas, Bangalore