Galeelakkunnu St.Mary’s Orthodox Church, Kandanadu West Diocese

  • Philip Ayyamplackal Chacko
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2013
    Galeelakkunnu St.Mary’s Orthodox Church, Kandanadu West Diocese

    Here is a request from Galeelakkunnu St.Mary’s Orthodox Church, Ooramana P.O., Ernakulum District.

    This church was originally built in the 1940’s by L/L Augen Mar Thimothios (H.H Augen Bava). Due to the factional feud that aroused in the 1970’s this church was closed. With the strenuous efforts of L/L Joseph Mar Pachomios Thirumeni and priests like Rev. Fr.Oorammana Achen, the first Catholicate Center of our Church was built here to cater to the needs of the faithful. Today this center is in very bad condition. The members of the church are predominantly poor farmers and members of the Servants of Cross (Sleebadasa Samooham).

    In the year 2008 the faithful of this church bought 32 cents of land near to the mother church to build a new church and the Diocesan Metropolitan Dr. Mathews Mar Severius has laid the foundation for the new Church. Almost 5 years have passed since then. Finance was the constraint that has prevented them to complete this church. When we have celebrated the Catholicate Centenary with such pomp and ceremony we have a responsibility to remember this first Catholicate Centre of our Church and the spiritual fathers who lead this centre.

    Attached herewith is a request from the Diocesan Metropolitan & Vicar seeking support. Today ICON postings have near to 10000 regular readers. In the past our members have silently donated for many noble causes. If only each one of us decide to donate a minimum of Rs.500/- that would be a big relief to the faithful of this Church. Most of us have internet banking and an email instruction to the Bank to transfer is a matter of few minutes. Can’t we do this if we really feel for our fellow faithful? Those who are interested to donate sacramental items for the new church can also contact the Vicar.

    Galeelakunnu St.Mary’s Orthodox Church
    UNION BANK, OORAMANA, ERNAKULUM District
    Pin – 686 663
    Bank Account # 458402010043361
    IFSC code: UBIN0545848, SWIFT code:UBININBBKCH

    Contact: Fr.T.P.Kurien (Vicar)
    Mob:9496120797, email : frtpkurien@...

    When we are approaching the great lent, let us enter the same by participating in this noble venture.

    Philip Ayyamplackal, Auckland