Re: Approving 8-day Lent as a Recognized Lent of our Church

  • Susan Eapen, Thiruvananthapuram
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2012
      Dear friends,

      The 8 day lent is now a grey and undefined area and therefore it must either be made canonical or abolished. Once I had argued for the 8 day lent but now experience has taught me that as it stands now, it is a money minting system for some through exploiting the weaknesses of the immature lay persons.

      Just like the cliques which operate at conventions, certain new cliques operate here and as long as this remains outside the purview of the Church, this will continue.

      The Church can direct parishes to lay down clear cut rules regarding the 8 day lent which would bring in some form of discipline. There should also be specific rates to be paid to the priest and the sexton for Qurbana and when several persons book on a day, each has a right to understand what takes place. I would rather not give my recent experience as it still rankles and it has made me determined not to be dazzled by the hierarchy and intimidation that is often employed by the clergy at all levels. I have heard priests threaten curses of Bishops which would make offending lay to become lepers. I have heard it alleged that one man being hit by a car recently and suffering multiple fractures was because he did not stand up before the Bishop.

      I now understand that intentions behind the 8 Day Lent may be pecuniary. It is the intention that brings forth the ultimate shape.

      In the Marthoma Church, a priest and sexton get decent pay and parishes also treats them well. I know of a specific case in Kerala where a priest was taken seriously ill and his medical bill amounting to thousands per day was met by one business man in the parish. When a priest needs finance, they give him one term abroad so that he gets enough to tide him through. There is no justice in our administration and priests are left at the mercy of the laity and the respective metropolitan this undermines their image and authority. The image of the Marthoma priest is that of a friend in need and not that of a cursing magician.

      I have now come to learn that much of the Christian Doctrine as it stands now was developed Centuries after Christ and there are word for word repetition of the Vedas even by St. John the Evangelist in his most beautiful statement about the Word. This is not original- the identification of Christ as the 'Word' is. To the Hindu, the Word has no name as God is un-nameable and represented by 'Pranava' - that which pervades everything and this is the harmonics of 'Aum'.

      It makes sense to me, as does the Orthodox policy of non-conversion. We share the same 'Father'. They never threaten or coerce. Just as there is a lot of distorted Christianity there is also a lot of distorted Hinduism, but it is one of the most ancient living religions and as it is said in the Bible, that which is not from God will not survive for centuries.

      Susan Eapen
      Thiruvananthapuram.
    • Rinu Sam, Nairobi
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2012
        Dear All,
        What is the significance of 8-day lent of celebrating feast of Virgin Mary the mother of God! She was blessed by the Lord! She was exalted by the Lord!

        This feast of celebrating Virgin Mary's birth was borrowed from Roman catholic church!
        Shall we follow everything like Roman catholic church? Rather celebrating the feast like Feasts of Hindus (utsavam) our aim should be living a divine life like Virgin Mary's holy life! Her life was entirely miseries and agonies! Yet she did not complain,curse anybody, not angry but happily received all sorrows and pains,prayed for everybody, like her son Jesus! She did follow the word of God!
        Virgin Mary is a creation by the creator Almighty God! Orthodox church honors virgin Mary, mother of God! But her place /position is not above the creator Lord Almighty!
        With warm regards
        Rinu Sam
        nairobi