Re: Name Of Malankara Orthodox/ Syrian/ Indian

  • Thomas Mathew, Mepral
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2012
      Dear All,

      I thank Dr. MS Alexander for raising this topic, many such topics in past appearedin this forum, some paved ways to materialize little but timely changes in the Holy church. Moreover, it is a common platform since IOIF to ICON...for starting some discussions.

      Why we named as Christians? Was this word derived from Aramaic?Syriac or Hebrew? Why Holy Bible in many languages? Or why we do not follow Muslims (Arabic) no change in basic language or script?

      Why are so called Orthodox churches named as Russian, Egyptian, Ethiopian, Antiochian? WHY NOT INDIAN?

      I firmly believe it is more apt we are called and known as INDIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH.

      Thomas Mathew, St.Johns Orthodox Valiyapally, Mepral
    • Joseph George, Washington DC
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3 7:27 AM
        Dear ICON friends -

        I've been reading the various posts on the matters of the subject line of this message. I question how much of a priority these matters are in a grand scheme. My thought is we have a growing community that is less and less than aware of Malayalam and/or Syriac but does it make sense to abandon our Malayalam and Syriac identities? I don't wish to sound like a nag, but I am a bit disappointed, that many of the posts I've read in response have anything to do with what Christ taught us (please correct me if I'm wrong). That in mind, I'd like to suggest you read/listen to the following interview with H.E. Mor Gregorios Yohana Ibrahim, Archbishop of Aleppo of the Syriac Orthodox Church, discussing the current plight of the Syriac Orthodox Christians. http://www.theworld.org/2012/07/syria-orthodox-christians-wary-of-their-future-in-post-assad-regime/. What struck me the most was this statement:

        "This is a problem, that they are talking about the change of the President, but they don't tell us who is coming to rule this country. Anything could happen [sounds like], and today in Libya, for example, the fanatics will come and control the country. We need to hear that nothing will happen to the Christians in Syria."

        This is very similar to the struggle of Eritrean, Coptic/Egyptians, as well as Orthodox Christians in Iraq and Turkey.

        We all can do better. IMHO, I think if we shift our focus to Christ first, all our other questions and concerns on our identity will be resolved.

        Lord have mercy on us all, Kurielaison/Kyrielaison, or Njangalude Karthave Njangalodu Karuna Cheyanname or however you feel comfortable saying it the most perfect prayer.

        Respectfully,

        Joseph George
        St. Gregorios, Washington, D.C.
        Note to moderators: direct responses: jvglion@...