Name Of Our Church

  • Charly V. Padanilam, Texas
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2012
      I have read several postings about the difference of opinion about my Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church.

      Malankara is formed from the name Maliyamkara, where the founder of the Christianity as well as that of our Church, St. Thomas stepped in to the land of Kerala and we used the Syriac language in our worship, that is where the word Syrian came and we are Orthodox means the true faith. So this all came to the name to our Church. But the mistake that happened is that when the name translated to English someone did it as "Syrian" instead of Syriac. "Malankara Orthodox Suriyaani Sabha" has been wrongly translated in English as Malankara Orthodox Syrian (instead of Syriac) Church. Some of the people thought it is because of our relation with the Syrian Church and it is totally wrong.

      We got the traditions and heredity not because of our merit but those are the gift of God. It is noticed that in some places, the ignorant people changed the name as Indian Orthodox Church, which is totally unacceptable, and it is humbly requesting that the Church hierarchies should take it very serious as that will make to lose our traditional identity.

      We got the traditions from our ancestors and do not make to lose it because of the ignorance of some people. We should have to write the name of our Church as "Malankara Orthodox Syriac Church". Unfortunately, it did not happen and the Puthan Kurishu fraction re-writes as Syriac Church. It is a great fall from the side of our leaders.

      Charly V. Padanailam, Houston, TX
    • George Daniel, Salalah
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2012
        Dear ICON members,

        Personally I feel we are spending too much time and thought for trivial things like the name of the Church. If the Church wants to remove the 'Syrian' tag, then go ahead and do it. However, let us and the Church spend more time on spiritual matters like helping the poor and needy and improving our mission services. Our people waste their precious time on unimportant matters.

        With regards,
        George Daniel, Salalah, Oman