Re: The Orthodox Bible

  • Rev. Fr. Philip Kuruvilla, Nagpur
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2012
      Thank you Georgy for getting that excellent update on where we are vis a vis the "Orthodox Bible".
      However, I would like to take up one part of the conversation:

      ICON:
      On a possible English version of the Orthodox Study Bible.

      HG: There are no plans as of now. But there's no necessity as such since the
      Orthodox Study Bible brought out by the Byzantine Church (St. Athanasius
      Academy of Orthodox Theology under the Archdiocese of North America of the
      Antiochian Orthodox Church) is an excellent source of study for the Orthodox
      faithful.

      I have a copy of the Orthodox Study Bible, because I was presented one by Fr John Thomas (Ex MGOCSM) when I passed through USA. But what about others in India who need to have it? Can our friends in USA please try to get the necessary [official permissions etc.] done to print the same here in India- and will our church print it?
      This needs to be done in 2 stages, but it needs to be done so our younger and newer gen - who cant read Malayalam - can still taste the Orthodox Bible.

      (Fr.) Philip Kuruvilla,
      General Coordinator,
      Ecumenical Solidarity for HIV and AIDS (ESHA) Program,
      National Council of Churches in India (NCCI),
      Nagpur, Maharashtra, India.
      Office: +91-712-2531312/ Res: +91-712-2596844 /Cell: +91-9823152313
    • Royce Cherian Thomas, Bangalore
      Message 2 of 3 , May 17, 2012
        Dear All,

        Adding my two cents:

        For those of you who intend to buy the Orthodox Study Bible: Complete
        (Bonded Leather) off the net, the best price you'd get would be from
        http://www.christianbook.com <http://www.christianbook.com> . Their
        price is $29.99. Amazon is $31.49, while Conciliar Press is 41.97.
        You'd have to add shipping charges of about $5, if the total value
        of your purchase does not exceed $50.

        In India, the Bonded Leather version retails at Rs. 3019, and the
        Hardcover one at Rs 2238. This is from www.flipkart.com
        <http://www.flipkart.com> (Free home delivery, and Cash on Delivery).

        Conciliar Press retails a case (12 bibles) too. If there's a
        sizeable number of people (in India) who'd like to own individual
        copies, let me know. We could ask potential retailers for a good price.
        I currently know 2 wannabe owners!

        From a casual chat with a Deacon from America who visited our Church, I
        got to know that there's some kind of agreement between STOTS,
        Nagpur and SVS Press, New York to make available Orthodox literature
        (English) in India. If so, we could use that as a potential channel to
        source directly from the US, and avoid the exorbitant shipping rates.
        However, this information may need to be endorsed by someone from STOTS,
        Nagpur. Also, whether Conciliar Press's material can be routed
        through SVS Press.

        All said and done, this is going by the endorsement stating that
        "the Orthodox Study Bible brought out by the Byzantine Church (St.
        Athanasius Academy of Orthodox Theology under the Archdiocese of North
        America of the Antiochian Orthodox Church) is an excellent source of
        study for the Orthodox faithful."

        For wannabe owners, my mail ID is roycethomas@...

        Regards,

        Royce Cherian Thomas,
        St. Thomas Orthodox Church,
        Bangalore
      • Isaac Thomas, Hyderabad
        Message 3 of 3 , May 18, 2012
          Dear Friends,

          OM books in Hyderabad through the efforts of Mr. Thommy Cherian had imported the Orthodox Bible some time back and the same was being sold at us$25. I understand from Mr. Thommy Cherian that OM is ready to import more if there is demand. Those interested can contact Mr. Cherian at 040-27800532.

          Isaac Thomas, Hyderabad