Condolence On Passing Away Of His Grace Dr. Geevarghese Mar Osthathios Thirumeni

  • Jose Thomas, Washington D.C
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2012
      On behalf of Catholicate College Alumni Association (CCAA) Washington D.C chapter, we express our heartfelt condolence on the sad demise of His Grace Dr. Geevarghese Mar Osthathios thirumeni. His Grace will be long remembered as one of the most eloquent speakers, avant-garde scholar and influential theologian; but many admire him most (a )for his decision to retire when he thought it was time to do so and (b) for the fact that he did not have a personal bank account.

      Joy Joseph (Secretary) & Jose Thomas (President), Washington D.C.
    • E S John, Australia
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2012
        Dear All,
        Apart from as a religious shepherd to his flock, Mar Osthathiose Thirumeni was a man of many parts: a vibrant orator, a voracious reader, a prolific writer, a passionate thinker, an apostle of love, an able organizer with equanimity of mind and a compassionate social worker. Many of HG's contemporaries believe that he has not many peers in our modern churches. Thirumeni excelled and made indelible mark in everybody and in everything that HG touched during his long lifetime. HG was a real and powerful force in all our religious Convention venues, particularly in the beginning to hear about his life experiences in America and also the magnetic appeal of a real rural missionary warrior who appealed everyone to the mission field in helping the starving multitudes by donating and sharing the money that a handful had accrued and monopolized, and they honoured the onward Christian soldier of Christ by responding positively. His dawn as a firebrand orator was a new sign of our church being interested in making public witnesses in a Protestant tune and ethos. The echo of Thirumeni's speeches are still heard and felt in Makkamkunnu and Pathanamthitta areas. His appeal to become as martyrs for Christ thrilled many young and old and they joined the relevant areas for working in the charitable institutions and missionary ventures. The seeds that Thirumeni sowed in our spirits to serve the church and society are still alive and fertile in our minds, though HG's few circumstantial changes later, as in the case of the deviations of early church theologians like Clement, Oregon, Cyprian and the like. The teaching of the non-existence of the devil and the Eternal salvation which is attained irrespective of one's caste, faith or creed are couple of them.

        His fire power bullet of mission spirit that drew the youth to his side and the seeds which he sowed in every heart flower sprouted, flowered and bore forth fruits eventually. Wherever HG went and whatever he did, it was for the growth and good name of the church and uplifting the downtrodden and the storm-tossed ones. He dedicated his life for the marginalized ones because he experienced the pinch of poverty and the nothingness of poor man's aspirations in his childhood. He received help from few individuals, but HG threw shelter and help to a multitude of the crying ones through the charity institutions which he started by going through fire and flood. The church thirsts for role models like thirumeni who began his life from nothingness and ended up as a luminous star in our religious and social firmament.

        He proved as a magnet of attractive personality, when he came in Melbourne for the W.C.C meeting in 1980 and sought help from the local church authorities for our budding parish that came into fruition after five months of thirumeni's departure from here.
        The political cosmetic of `anushochanam' is not the homage that we have to give to thirumeni now; it is our bounten duty to grieve and lament for the next 40 days of thirumeni's `oyar' travel, the period that the helpless soul passing through the toll-houses, `vidhi geham' of the aerial realm, as we recite in our sleeba Sunday evening prayers. It is also our mathematical duty to follow his foot-steps, as HG took the yoke of burden from Pathrose Mar Osththiose in cherishing as the caretaker of `The servant of the Cross' (Sleeba dasa samuham' which his pioneer had started. Let us all grieve and lament, as done by the Israelites for 30 days in the case of Aaron and Moses, for the next 40 days for thirumeni by fasting, praying and also celebrating the holy Liturgy. This is the only thing that we can do for the departed soul, so also by emulating the Good Samaritan role of carrying the wounded person from the street to the adjacent Temple by paying the two last cents to the inn owner.

        E.S.John, Australia
      • Rev. Fr. George T., Ireland
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 22, 2012
          Dear ES John Sir,
          Your words on LL HG Geevarghese Mar Osthathios thirumeni were all apt. But there seems to be a trace of criticism in the following words from you which are quoted below:
          "The seeds that Thirumeni sowed in our spirits to serve the
          church and society are still alive and fertile in our minds, though HG's few
          circumstantial changes later, as in the case of the deviations of early church
          theologians like Clement, Oregon, Cyprian and the like. The teaching of the
          non-existence of the devil and the Eternal salvation which is attained
          irrespective of one's caste, faith or creed are couple of them".

          You said it was a later circumstantial change or theological deviation on the part of thirumeni. We have already discussed this topic(eternal hell) here in detail. Nevertheless, let me once again point out to you with all due respect, that it was neither thirumeni's later thought nor a deviation from the true orthodox view. He clearly teaches about 'eschatology' in his book "Communion in the body of Christ" written by him 1969 when he was an Achen. Please read that and the rest of his books. Kindly read an article on "Eternal Hell" written in Malayalam by Rev. Fr. Dr. K.M. George( Principal of our seminary and the world renowned theologian) as well which came up in the 'Georgian Mirror'( Feb 2012 edit). Please see the link attached hereunder.

          http://www.malankaraorthodox.tv/georgian_mirror/index.html

          May God bless us all,
          With love and prayers,
          George Achen, Ireland.