Re: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church Is Not Anti-Patriarch

  • Thomas Kuttikandathil, Houston
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2011
      Dear and respected all,

      This has reference to the post of Dr. M.S. Alexander under the above heading in ICON digest No. 4338. Very true.

      1. We are not at all against the Syrian Patriarch. But the Patriarch is against us. He still consider us as an enemy and ex-communicated us, even though we remember him in the �thubden�.

      2. The Malankara Orthodox Church is the same one accepted by the Patriarch in 1958, but the Patriarch is not the same (not the person) accepted by the Church subject to the constitution of the Church.

      3.Now, because of the following reasons our relationship with the Patriarch can be only as the head of a member Church of the Oriental Orthodox Family. The Patriarch himself have severed his special status and relationship with the Malankara Church by many of his actions like splitting the Church and installing a parallel Catholicos, etc. Even the 1995 Supreme Court ruling that he is only the spiritual head (without temporal and administrative powers) of our Church is not binding on us because till today the Patriarch has not accepted, approved or acknowledged the Supreme Court verdict which says ''the excommunication of the Catholicos by the Patriarch is invalid for various reasons.''

      4. The constitution of the Syrian Church framed after the 1995 Supreme Court judgement has no mention about the Malankara Metropolitan and the Catholicos of the East, whose positions were approved by the Supreme Court as un questionable. The constitution of the Syriac Orthodox Church says that the local head of the Indian Church, which is one of their arch-dioceses is the 'Catholicos of India' (H.B.Thomas I).

      With prayers,
      Thomas Kuttikandathil, Houston