High Court Suggestion About Mediaiton

  • Ronnie Daniel, Toronto
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2011
      High Court has suggested that mediation is needed to end this dispute. But, if we look in to the history of the Church, we will see that all disputes in the past came to an end by decrees passed by the Court.

      The last one was the in 1958, after 50 years of disputes and court cases, unity happened following the Supreme Court decree.

      Earlier to that was the issue with Mar Thomas Athanasius of Mar Thoma Church fame, which was resolved by the Seminary suit.

      Earlier to that was the, dispute with the Mission Society which came to an end by the "Cochin Award of 1840".

      There is no record of any long time disputes ended by mediation.

      In fact, it is extremely difficult this time as both groups are far apart. One side, as well as majority of people on both sides want unity, whereas a few in the other side want nothing but division. Both are pulling it in different directions and mediation will not be a solution at all.

      Instead of asking for mediation, the Court needs to search into the reasons why the 1958 unity got broken and start from there and try to unite this ancient church of St. Thomas.

      Someone suggested mediation by other Christian community in Kerala. They are all separated from us one time or the other in the past after having a fight with us. What would be their interest while doing such mediation?

      Some others suggested mediation by Govt. What would be their interest other than ensuring votes for them in next election!

      Best mediator is the Court. Win or lose, at least we can trust that some good principles set in our country's constitution is followed.

      Regards,
      Ronnie Daniel, Toronto, Canada