Sunday Mar 04 Gospel Message

  • Indian Orthodox
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2001

      Sunday Scripture Series Mar 4, 2001

      As a part of our efforts to attain spiritual renewal among us, we are introducing this message. This will be a weekly message based on the Gospel (Evengelion) reading for the Sunday communion service.

      Your comments or recommendations are welcome, please sent it to IndianOrthodox@....

      Rev. George Pulikkottil contributes today's message.

      Achen is originally from Kunnamkulam diocese and now a research student in Friedrich Alexander University, Erlangen, Germany. Achen also assists Rev. Korah Varghese in his pastoral ministry to St. Gregorios Orthodox parish of Indian Orthodox Church in Germany.

      Achen was the Registrar of "Divyabodhanam" course when he was working at Orthodox Theological Seminary, Kottayam. He is the author of 'The message of Religions' (Malayalam) , which is a text book for "Divyabodhanam" course. He also served as the secretary to H. G. Mar Milithios.

      You can contact him at pulikkottilachen@....

      IndianOrthodox Internet Group

      + +

      Inform! Involve! Inspire! + +

      Gospel Reading: Luke 5: 12-16, 4:40-41

      (MKJV).

      5:12 And it happened, as He was in a certain city, behold, a man full of leprosy! And seeing Jesus, he fell on his face and begged Him, saying, Lord, if You will, You can cleanse me. 13 And stretching out the hand, He touched him, saying, I will! Be clean! And immediately the leprosy departed from him. 14 And He commanded him, Tell no one, but go and show yourself to the priest and offer for your cleansing, as Moses commanded, for a testimony to them. 15 But the word about Him spread even more. And great crowds were coming to hear, and to be healed from their infirmities by Him. 16 But He was drawing back in the wilderness, and praying.

      4: 40 And the sun sinking, all, as many as had sick ones with different kinds of diseases brought them to Him. And laying hands on each of them, He healed them. 41 And also demons came out of many, crying out and saying, You are the Christ, the Son of God! And rebuking them , He did not allow them to speak; for they knew Him to be the Christ.

      1. "Lord, if you will, you can cleanse me." "I will; be clean."

      The big lent season is a time of cleansing. The process of cleaning is very important in Christian life. The very purpose of the Incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ has to be seen to clean his creation from all the evil powers. When we look the sequence of events of the big lent, I mean the Bible readings of each Sundays and weekdays, then we could see how the church fathers have understood this fine idea of cleaning of the whole universe through the Economy of Jesus Christ. He transferred water in to wine. He cleansed the lepers. He cured all sort of sick and weak. He raises the dead. Through His own sufferings, crucifixion, death and resurrection He has defeated the power of Satan and cleaned the whole creation. One has to understand the above titled dialogue and the context of this text as a symbolic presentation of this reality. The leper as a representative of the defected creation acknowledge the Creator in Christ and beg him for his purification: "Lord, if you will, you can cleanse me." The Creator, the Christ says: "I will; be clean."

      The urge to be cleaned is very impotent. In all three gospel parallels of this event we could see the strong desire of the leper to be cleaned. He was also sure that Jesus could clean him and Jesus only. That shows the faith and hope of the creation in his creator. The Church, parish and each person should have this desire, faith and hope.

      2. He stretched out his hand, and touched him

      "Church is the extension of the Incarnation of Jesus Christ". It is the body of Christ. So as the members of the church each one of us has to continue this mission of cleaning. He has stretched out his hand and touched him. It is a significant action that he touched this leper. It was a strong religious forbid to the Jews to touch or even to speak with a leper. We also have to touch the one who really needs our touch. The whole idea of love, mission and charity are there in these words.

      Did we touch the one who came to us in his need? Are we ready to stretch out our hands to do goodness? In this Sunday, as we know, our Church collect money for the lepers and their children. Can we join in this mission of touching the poor and ill of our community?

      3. Go and show yourself, and make an offering

      Here is the invitation of Jesus Christ to us to join with him and show ourselves as living Christians. First of all he says to the cured to show himself in front of the priests as a witness that he was cured by God the almighty. Why then? Because he was not only helped by the religion that he till believed but also was cursed as an inhuman being. He cried to Christ, knelt down on his feet, and was exalted to the glory of God, the Creator. That is the reason that he says go and present yourself to the priests of this particular religion.

      Secondly he says make an offering to God. A thanksgiving to God is very important in our life. Why? Is God so eager to get thanks from us? No, not at all. But it is an acknowledgement form our side that we received the grace of God. One of the most lacking factor of our so called modern community is that, though we pray for many things, on receiving the fruits we are not so particular to say thanks with whole heart. This may even wound the Heart of Christ. Though we receive the abundance of grace every day, when it happens something to us not so good, then we may forget all that we have received and may curse and blame the Holy spirit. This must not be happened any more in our life.

      + Fr. George Pulikkottil

    • IndianOrthodox@hotmail.com