Devotional Thoughts for April 3, 2011/5th Sunday of Lent/Crippled Woman

  • Rev. Fr. Solomon OIC, Kunnamkulam
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2011
      Devotional Thoughts for the Sunday of the Lent/Crippled Woman

      Sunday of the Healing of the Woman with Infirmity.

      Bible Reading - Luke 13:10-17

      Thomas Moore once said "There is no sorrow in this world which cannot be
      mitigated by God." We see here a woman enduring her infirmity for the last 18
      years. We see her in the temple of God, bearing her troubles and her pain. Yet
      she has come to this temple, to the presence of God, filled with hope and we see
      her healed and filled with peace and relief on this glorious day. Let us
      consider the three stages in her life.

      The condition she was in before her infirmity -
      This was the period in her life before she experienced the curse of illness and
      pain inflicted by Satan. It was a stage in her life when she stood erect before
      God without fear, shame, or the burden of sin. It was a period when there were
      no obstacles or hindrances to obstruct her from praising and worshipping God.
      It was a time when there was no downfall or decadence from the relationship
      between God and man, when there was no blemish in the natural purity, happiness
      and piety towards God.

      The Condition which befell her -
      Here we see a woman who could not stand erect for 18 years, having fallen in to
      the clutches of Satan (Luke 13:16). Under a demonic influence or power her
      spine had become weak both physically and spiritually - a human being leading an
      almost beastly existence wherein all her movements and appearance in life are
      concerned only for earthly affairs. Such a person does not look up. He is
      concerned only with a day-to-day existence as to what he will eat, drink or
      enjoy and all struggles, endeavors and activities are aimed only at temporal
      achievements. Through the bondage of sin this life is far removed from the
      worship and praise of God, and separated from a quest for all things divine. It
      has a lifestyle which has no responsibility or obligation to God or to the
      brotherhood of man because of this "hump" of selfishness.

      A condition all of us should seek to attain -
      Man is not what he ought to be; Man must necessarily become what he ought to
      become. This woman who received the vision and touch of God was able to stand
      erect and glorify Him. We should be counted among those who dressed in white
      and bearing palm fronds, stand before the throne of God and worship Him day and
      night (Rev. 7:9-10). We should appear as a resplendent bride, without any
      blemish in our goodness. We should stand beside our savior and fight against
      the satanic forces and attain victory.

      These three stages have a parallel in the spiritual history of man. The first
      stage corresponds to life in the Garden of Eden, the symbol of perfection where
      Adam and Eve stood unashamed before God their Creator. Then came sin and with
      that sin, humans are bowed down with the weight of their hardships, earning
      their bread only by the sweat of their brow and leading a life which is more
      temporal than spiritual and also with backs bent by the weight of sin (Ps.
      38:4-6). In the fullness of time came our Lord Jesus Christ, whose touch
      redeemed man from this world of sin and brought about a spiritual resurrection,
      like the woman who was healed from her spirit of infirmity.

      Let us pray: Jesus, son of David, please heal me also with Your touch. Make me
      worthy of glorifying You by standing straight with freedom from the bondage of
      sin.

      FR. SOLOMON OIC, BETHANY ASRAM,
      KUNNAMKULAM, THRISSUR DT, KERALA

      Moderators' Note:
      This message has been posted previously in ICON.