Christmas & New Year Cheers

  • PV Mathew, Cochin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2011
      Dear ICON friends,

      Here are some numbing figures given out by the Kerala Government: the sale of liquor through the State Beverages Corporation’s (Bevco)outlets in Kerala on December 24 (Christmas Eve), 2010 broke all previous records. And who lifted the trophy for the biggest buyers? Well, your guess is as good as mine. It was Chalakkudy in Trichur district. Again! They bought liquor worth Rs.18,00,000 (18 lakhs) on a single day! Another Christian belt that gave them good company was Changanacherry (in Kottayam district) with purchases crossing Rs.14 lakhs.

      But, come New Year Eve, Chalakkudy was pipped to the second spot by neighbouring Iringalakkuda. On December 31, 2010, the Bevco outlet at Iringalakkuda sold liquor worth Rs.17.64 lakhs. Chalakkudy lost out due to an unforeseen development: the liquor shop there had to close at 3 p.m. due to a strike in the locality! Anyway, the Kerala Government’s earnings on this New Year Eve, from its 338 retail liquor outlets in this tiny State surpassed all previous records: it stood at Rs.32.86 crores (Rs.32,00,00,000), against the previous year’s figure of Rs.27.08 crores.

      Kerala has already overtaken Punjab in the sale and consumption of alcohol. The per capita consumption of alcohol is the highest in Kerala in the whole of India. Where do we draw the line here of ‘drinking’ and ‘getting drunk’, a fine distinction sought to be made by someone on this forum the other day?

      It is time to think what has afflicted the Kerala society. Young and old are taking to alcohol as if there is no tomorrow. Drinking alcohol is not only considered a ‘manly’ habit but also seen as a status symbol. Look at all the hype about having a ‘mini-bar’ at the lavish houses coming up in the cities and even in the countryside. In fact, many consider the teak-panelled mini bar in their houses as the main show-piece and as ‘the’ status-symbol. How has this situation come about? It is time to analyse.

      There may be those who argue that wine existed as long as human history, and so, let us live with it. Some would even quote the Holy Bible to show its prevalence. But, certainly, to a sane mind, the figures quoted earlier do not give any ground to cheer about.
      With love,
      P.V.Mathew
      Cochin
    • Ronnie Daniel, Toronto, Canada
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2011
        --- In IndianOrthodox@yahoogroups.com, PV Mathew, Cochin <IndianOrthodox@...> wrote:
        > Here are some numbing figures given out by the Kerala Government: the sale of liquor through the State Beverages Corporation's (Bevco)outlets in Kerala on December 24 (Christmas Eve), 2010 broke all previous records.

        I think it is not just liquor alone. Consider anything for that matter.
        What about sale of cars, refrigerators, tv.etc.. etc.?
        Last week when I called a cousin in Thiruvalla he was saying one kilo of onion costs Rs. 85, a price unheard even in America. We get about 3 to 4 kilos for the same money.
        So, it is clearly a matter of affluence; first it was the money flowing from Gulf and America. Now it is the money from the businesses flowing from outside india to cities like Trivandrum and Ernakulam. Kerala has become the consumption capital of India.

        I am no way justifying the consumption of liquor; but it looks like it is a pattern of the growth in luxurious living among our people...

        Rgds
        Ronnie Daniel
        Toronto, Canada