Re: Church Online Portal to Collect Credit Card Donations

  • Reji Varughese, Abu Dhabi
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2010
      Excellent idea by Johnson. Our chruch is not a poor chruch. A good number of
      people enjoy reasonably good income and the new generation I believe are
      more vocal in charity deeds and contribution. What we lack is a forum. With
      the idea expressed by Johnson and fine-tuned by accounting experts, we can
      have credible charity collections. Many people within the chruch do not
      contribute due to apprehensions of money reaching the right hands. Can
      someone appropiate in the chruch management take note and move idea further
      to reality?

      Reji Varughese, Abu Dhabi
    • Reney Mathew, Kochi
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2010
        It will a very good step, if the transperancy in handling this account can be maintained. It is not the lack of interest in contributing to charity, but the lack of transperancy on how the funds are handled. The donors have the right to make sure that the funds have reached the right hands.

        Reney Mathew, Kochi.
      • Isaac Thomas, Hyderabad
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13, 2010
          Dear Sirs,

          This is an excellent idea.

          However there may be some problems to link all our institutions since some of them may not have the FCRA registration to receive foreign donations. Another aspect is sometimes the donors do not intimate the institutions their details - the banks give only the name of the remitter and not the full address- and this leads to accounting difficulties. Another aspect which must be borne in mind is the fact that all donors must be identified with name and address (no donation in principle from well wishers can be accepted - no anonymous donations). If all donors take care of these, it is an excellent idea.

          Isaac Thomas
          Hyderabad
        • Sajy Thannikkottu, Kathmandu
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 16, 2010
            1. some of them may not have the FCRA registration

            # those who have FCRA registration can help those who doesn't have or it can be channeled through diocesan office.

            2. all donors must be identified with name and address

            # We can make certain parameters as compulsory values in online form such as name & address to donate.

            regards

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 19, 2010
              Dear Sir,

              I refer to Mr.Sajy Thannikkottu's mail.

              1. As far as I know, funds received by an institution having FCRA cannot be transferred to Non FCRA institutions.I donot know whether Diocesan offices can receive funds without FCRA registration. Somebody knowledgeable can advise.
              2. I agree that the solution can be found for getting the full details of the donor.

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 20, 2010
                Dear Mr. Isaac Thomas

                I was trying to say to register every diocesan office under FCRA. Then diocesan office can take various projects in their name.

                As I am not an expert on this area I don't want to comment further.

                However, I don't think we should worry about FCRA rules as we will find one or other option to help various projects after consulting a financial expert.

                In fact Indians are very expert in finding loop holes. Otherwise how come HB Thomas I could come with a society church under society act when Supreme Court ordered to unite the church.

                At least our purpose is noble.

                regards
                Sajy Thannikkottu, Kathmandu