Re: Unity in Christ/ Percentage Splitting

  • Ronnie Daniel, Toronto, Canada
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
      - In IndianOrthodox@yahoogroups.com, George Aramath, Grand Rapids, MI < indianorthodox@...> wrote:
      > Our current dispute is far different because it involves the very top hierarchs, between the Patriarch and Catholicos, leading to a split between over one million Orthodox Christians. To equate this division with minor disputes that may come up later in individual churches is unfair.

      Dear Mr. George Aramath,

      Well, here is where you got everything fundamentally wrong. There is absolutely no dispute between the Patriarch and Catholicos. Both these Hierarchs know exactly where they stand and if there was any grey area in their relationship, the Indian Supreme Court in 1958 interpreted the relations to both sides and both sides accepted it. Both sides spent enormous amounts of money to get it interpreted and the judge finally asked your side to pay our legal expenses too. After all those sufferings from your side, our side did not take it out of compassion. Everything was going well thereafter for a while.

      Then as you rightly said "A Minor Bishop" started creating trouble in a "Minor" church and he got some fanatics with him who started chanting slogans like "Pettammaye marannalum Anthokyaye marakilla". There is a saying in Malayalam that "You beat your mother, there will be some people who will say you are right".

      I have responded to you with some common sense answers to your question hoping that you are genuine. But, in your other mail to Georgy you said it merely reinforced your own belief and ended up where you started in spite of Georgy quoting your own Syrian Church constitution and establishing that this division is unconstitutional. If you are not approaching this issue with an open mind and trying to understand the reasoning of the other side, I think your intervention in the conversation of your opposite side might have helped both you and the people responded to you to sin.

      I do understand the arguements your side making about some of the Churches where you are the absolute majority. But, there again you should not try to occupy it illegally and by force and by creating law and order situations.

      Our Holy Fathers of today are descendants of the same Holy Fathers who had shown your side the compassion to forgive you what you were ought to pay in 1958. I am sure they will show the same compassion if you want to part ways for whatever reasons.
      But, there is a Christian way to do that. Not by pure politicking. It doesn't go very well when your side do politicking on the one side and ask for christianity and compassion on the other side.

      Rgds
      Ronnie Daniel
      Toronto, Canada
    • George Varghese, Calgary
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 23, 2011
        Dear Friends:

        Please keep the mission work of our Church and specifically Fort McMurray in your prayers.

        On October 28 2011, it is planned that for the first time a priest from our St. Gregorios Mission society will be coming to offer Holy Qurbana. During that weekend it is intended to have different sessions to discuss and learn more of our Orthodox Christian faith.

        Fort McMurray is known as largest oil sands reservoir in the world and has people coming to it all over the world, but does not have a regular Orthodox Christian service. (We too moved here from Calgary in 2006. However, we are in the process of transitioning back to Calgary in November.)

        My prayer is that the an Orthodox Christian centered community will develop in time in Fort McMurray, moving beyond the walls of culture and language of Coptic, Ethiopia, Russian, Malayalaee etc. with regular service in English and open to all cultures to come and worship as Orthodox Christians.

        I used to wonder on St. Gregorios mission: why HG Makarios of blessed memory have had separate mission parishes with Caucasian priests instead of having them as inclusive part of the Malankara Orthodox Church parishes. My fear was that they are seen like the untouchable lower caste parishes for the Nadar community who still hasn't been able to merge fully with the other parishes in spirit and they will grow comfortable to live within their own community.

        Living the last 5 years, with perhaps a Malayalam H. Qurbana once every 6 months and not under the regular discipline of priest and Bishop to oversee regularly the spiritual growth of the community, has made me realize and see this happening before my very eyes without knowing what to do in the Malayalee Orthodox community in Fort McMurray.

        However, our God works in mysterious ways. When we had our Malankara Orthodox family conference in July, persistence of the few families that it cannot go on continuing like this.

        It is my request for your prayers and provide encouragement to Church hierarchy (Not only Indian Orthodox - but others too from Ethiopian, Coptic, Syrian etc.) to support mission parishes in Fort McMurray and other such isolated places in the Orthodox Christian worship and faith of the Church.

        George Varghese, Calgary, Canada