Re: Glastonbury Review

  • Fr. Peter Farrington, UK
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2010
      Dear friends,

      Christ is risen!

      I note that there is some discussion about a missing reference in my short article on St Thomas.

      Of course I am well aware of Dr Cheriyan's work, 'Orthodox Christianity in India'. But to the best of my knowledge I have not seen it, and therefore not been able to use it as a source. I have had a look on books.google to see if I could have seen it there, but as far as I can see it is not available there to read.

      The volume I generally relied on was India and the Apostle Thomas by Medleycott. This contains the historic references I used, and I would imagine that since Medleycott lists them chronologically anyone else writing on the same subject would generally follow the same order.

      Indeed I note the use of Medleycott several times in the notes to this article. Medleycott lists the references to St Thomas in the Western fathers in the following order..

      i. Gregory Nazianzus
      ii. Ambrose of Milan
      iii. Jerome
      iv. Gaudentius
      v. Paulinus of Nola
      vi. John Chrysostom
      vii. Gregory of Tours
      viii. Bede

      This is the same order as I referenced in my article, although I did not mention John Chrysostom. I am therefore entirely happy that all of the information I used came from Medleycott, who wrote in 1905, and not from Dr Cheriyan, whose volume I have never read.

      As far as I can see I did not refer to the actual reference in Bede. It would seem to me, using Medleycott and finding the reference myself, that Bede mentions St Thomas in his Martyrology for 21st January, and not in his Ecclesiastical History or in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. The Anglo-Saxon chronicle mentions an embassy of King Alfred which went to Jerusalem and on to India. This cannot have anything to do with Bede, as he died in 735AD and this embassy took place in about 883AD.

      I hope this clears up any potential controversy.

      Father Peter Farrington, UK
    • Thomas, SJ CA
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2010
        Very informative article, especially the quotes from St. Cyril can open the eyes of people who are doubtful about Mar Thoma. Considering the early interactions between Alexandrian and Indian Churches, it would be useful to consider also the Coptic Synaxarium below.

        http://www.copticchurch.net/synaxarium/9_26.html#1

        I have a coin of King Gondophares mentioned in the article. There is an ancient site in Pakistan associated with the Apostle.

        Thomas, SJ CA