Re: Record Alcohol Sale in Kerala.

  • Dr. K.Varghese Zachariah, MD. Kuwait
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2009
      I dont know how many people are going to agree with what I am going to tell.
      Everytime there is a news about staggering sales of alcohol in Kerala during
      festivals. The revenue generated by this sales add to the government
      treasury and they are supposed to use it for the development of the state.
      What we should see is also the sales of alcohol in normal days throughout
      the year. This can be made into a graph and statistically evaluvated. I feel
      if the sales throughout the year is same or does not show statistical
      difference with the festival days, it is definitely a cause for worry. Since
      it shows, people are using alcohol not only to celebrate festivals, but also
      for any silly reason made everyday. But, if on the other hand, if there is
      gross difference with the daily sales and the sales on festival days, we
      should not raise an alarm. It is festival time, and probably people have
      alcohol to add that little spice to the day. I know, people who are against
      alcoholism, will be aiming brickbats at me. I will agree to be against
      alcoholism, but having some alcohol, in moderation, during festival time
      should be accepted.

      Dr. K.Varghese Zachariah, MD.
      KUWAIT.
    • Anoop
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2010
        Hi all,

        I don't want to say anything against Dr.Varghese's comment ,his point of view is purely personal.

        Church should seriously start thinking of the alcohol consumption of our members,also we start campaign against alcohol.(If we are not starting now, later our brothers will stop using it when they become Pentecost members and blame us for not supporting). Church used to react against Government policies,but will there be any action for the church to stay away its members from the nasty habit?. Many of my friends and myself never used alcohol after inspired by the speeches of H.G Barnabas during our childhood.

        I would like to point out one example where our church took firm action against pro alcoholism.
        Recently one vicar of Chengannur diocese has been transfered by the diocese bishop after he distributed Wine (instead of giving water)on a Christmas day after giving Holy communion ,if bishop didn't act well ,that would have been another wrong practice of our church. Its easy to start wrong practices but tough to stop.

        Church should project itself as a church of non alcoholism. Our priest should start visiting all its members house often and strengthen the relationship between church and its members rather than building up new buildings(including churches and Halls) . Also we should raise voice against the habit of certain priest who start unnecessary construction works just for the sake of gaining names and precious gifts.

        Lets start think for the future of our church and project a new culture.

        Thanks
        Anoop
        Please always sign with your complete name and place of residence - Moderator