Re: APPAM OR AHARAM: WHICH IS CORRECT?

  • Rev. Dn. George Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2009

      I remember hearing a talk by HG Geevarghese Mar Ivanios of Kottayam one time in which he explained the meaning behind the 'Our Father' prayer.  He specifically brought up this issue and explained how people incorrectly use the word 'ahaaram' instead of 'appam.'
      Daily bread appears to be a reference to the way God provided manna to the Israelites each day while they were in the wilderness (Exod 16:15-21). Since they could not keep any manna overnight, they had to depend on God to provide manna each day.

      Basically, when we pray the 'Our Father,' we are praying to God as our Father in Heaven.  We are God's children, and we ask God for many things in this life, especially for our 'daily bread,' which describes all the physical, human and spiritual gifts we need to live.  Because we are now heirs of the Kingdom of Heaven and children of God, with confidence, we boldly say and pray: "Give us this day what we need."

      Dn. George Mathew
      St. Thomas Indian Orthodox Church, Washington, DC