Thought for the Day: Sunday, 2 August, 2009

  • ICON Moderators
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2009
      Thought for the Day: Sunday, 2 August, 2009

      A Hymn for Meditation
      ---------------------
      Quqlion of the Cross
      --------------------

      Quqlion
      -------

      Vellum Shathrukkale Ninnal Njangal Haale...

      Through you we shall strike down our enemies halleluia,
      And in your name we shall trample upon our foes

      You are He who saved us from our foes, halleluia,
      And put to shame our enemies. Barekmor.

      Priest: Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit

      Congregation: From age to age for ever. Amin.

      Eqbo
      ----

      Sleeba Vennu Vellunnu...

      The cross has conquered, the cross conquers,
      The cross has conquered the enemy,
      May the cross be a stronghold
      To all who confess the cross.

      Staumon kalos, kurieeleison.

      Qolo
      ----

      Naathan Koottayullathinal Dhushtane Naam Pedikkilla...

      We will not fear the evil one,
      Because the Lord is with us,
      And we are clothed in his strong
      Armour and in it we all glory. Barekmor.

      Priest: Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit

      Congregation: In your cross, Lord Jesus, we take
      Refuge every day, which delivers us
      From the evil one and makes us
      Inherit the kingdom on high.

      Alternate Qolo
      --------------

      Moonnammaniyilumenneraththum Vandikkunnu Jeeva Sleebhaye...

      At the third hour and at all times we worship
      The living cross, and we sign ourselves with it
      On our foreheads; it is our hope and our protection,
      It delivers us from the evil one and his powers by day and by night.
      Barekmor.

      Priest: Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit

      Congregation: Moses with his staff divided the sea before
      The host and Israel passed over; Our Lord Jesus by the cross
      Of light opened Sheol and raised the dead; blessed is Christ,
      Who trod for us the way of life from the grave to Paradise.

      B'outho
      -------

      Sleeba! Vaazhuka Swargaththil...

      The cross reigns in heaven,
      The cross reigns on earth
      May the cross be a stronghold
      To the churches and the monasteries.

      Original Syriac: A Syriac Father of Antiquity

      English translation by Bede Griffiths based on the manuscripts at the Pampakuda
      library. From the book Awsar Slawoto, SEERI, 2006.

      Versification in Malayalam by Sabha Kavi Vennikkulam CP Chandy.

      ICON MODERATORS