Orthodox Church in Sri Lanka

  • Dr. Philipose Joshua, Trivandrum
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2009
      Dear Moderators,

      There was a query about the existence of Orthodox church in Sri Lanka.  It is recorded that on 29th May 1892 an American Jesuit Priest Fr.Joseph Reni Vilati, who embraced the Orthodox faith was ordained as an Episcopa of the Orthodox church and appointed as Metropolitan of the American Diocese. The Ordination was done by Metropolitans Kadavil Mar Athanasius, Parumala Mar Gregorios and Alavares Mar Julius I ( Another RC priest from Goa, who embraced Orthodox faith and was ordained a bishop at the Old Seminary on 29th July 1889). It is recorded that during this period one Fr.Kochukoshy was the vicar of the St.Mary's Church, Colombo, where the ordination took place. There must have been many Orthodox Church members there during those days.  We do not know if any of their descendants are still there or any orthodox church is still existing. Though I enquired about it in 2006 during my visit to Sri Lanka, I could not gather any information. I had attended a
      RC service on a Sunday I was there. If any one wants to seriously pursue this I am giving here two contacts:

      1. Mr. M.S. Saju : saju@ euroasianpharma.com

      2. Ms. Jaanaki Gooneretne : jaanaki@ iti.lk

      Mr. Saju is one of my nephews, is a member of Orthodox Church and is from Kerala.  He is a business man at Colombo. Ms. Jaanaki was my college mate and is a senior scientist and is a native of Colombo.

      With best wishes

      Dr.Philipose Joshua
      Trivandrum