The Crisis in SriLanka

  • Mathew Samuel, Albany, NY
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29 2:01 PM
      The daily outpouring news about the situation in Sri Lanka and the humanitarian crisis is hard to ignore. Hope there is an agreeable settlement in the post LTTE era.

      http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/British-paper-uncovers-massacre-of-20000-Tamils/articleshow/4594540.cms
      British Paper uncovers massacre of 2000 Tamils in the last weeks of the Sri Lankan armies' fight with LTTE.

      Are there Malayalees in Sri Lanka? Are there any in the forum who know of affected people and can provide their perspective? What about Churches in the island nation? Can someone provide some reports from the ground?

      As a Church - are we equipped to deal with such situations? Do we have a role to play in this situation befalling neighboring Tamils? I know it has been a long political issue and elections have been won and lost on this, but I am more looking at the humanitarian side. As an Indian Church, we need to be aware, be part of and be involved with the society and challenges of India.

      Hoping for comments and perspectives from the readers.
      Mathew Samuel
      Albany, NY
    • Sajy Thannikkottu, Kathmandu
      Message 2 of 2 , May 29 11:20 PM
        Recently I got opportunity to meet one RC Sree Lankan who works with SAFTA came here for a SAARC project. As of him, there are Christians belonging to RC and Protestants. RC has got their own Cardinal & there are many protestant groups. There are both Tamilians & Sinhalas as Christians. I don't think there are many Malayalis living in Sri Lanka. However, I think, Sri Lanka Asian Paints General Manager is from Trichur but belongs to RC. But both of them might be in Columbo and war place is far from Columbo.

        I am not sure whether this information is of any use.

        regards
        Sajy Thannikkottu, Kathmandu