Something to Think: Sunday Feb 04 Gospel

  • Indian Orthodox
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001

      Sunday Scripture Series Feb 04, 2001

      As a part of our efforts to attain spiritual renewal among us, we are introducing this message. This will be a weekly message based on the Gospel (Evengelion) reading for the Sunday communion service.

      If you have any comments or recommendations please sent to IndianOrthodox@....

      Rev. Fr. Thomas Kurien (Kallooppara), the vicar of St. Thomas Orthodox Church, Vasai Road, Bombay, contributes today's message.

      Achen was ordained in 1978 and served many churches in Bombay diocese. He is very involved in MGOSM activities in Bombay and was the chief editor of "The Gateway," the diocesan newsletter.

      Achen teaches English in a college in Bombay, and achen's wife Susan is a teacher too. Achen is an eloquent speaker and speech trainer. He is a freelance writer for some of the leading English magazines in India. Achen and his family now lives in Bombay. He can be contacted at tkurienachen@....

      Moderators, IndianOrthodox

      Sunday Feb 04, The Fifth Sunday after DHANAHA (EPIPHANY

      )

      Gospel Reading: Mark 1: 12- 20 (MKJV).

      .

      12 And immediately the Spirit drove Him into the wilderness. 13 And He was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan. And He was with the wild beasts, and the angels ministered to Him. 14 And after John was delivered up, Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom of God,

      15 and saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God draws near. Repent, and believe the gospel. 16 And walking along beside the sea of Galilee, He saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. 17 And Jesus said to them, Come after Me and I will make you fishers of men. 18 And immediately they left their nets and followed Him. 19 And when He going farther from there a little, He saw James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, who also were in the boat mending their nets. 20 And immediately He called them. And they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired servants and went after Him.

      Dear Brethren in Christ,

      Today we have heard a passage from St. Mark�s Gospel (1: 12-20). This passage narrates an incident that happened at the beginning of Jesus Christ�s ministry. Jesus found that the time has come for Him and to start the ministry, and that the kingdom of God is at hand. He wanted us to know this cardinal aspect in Christian�s life. Unless we are aware of its imminence, we do not take proper initiative to prepare ourselves for attaining the glory in the kingdom of God.

      The ministry of Jesus starts with a call about the kingdom of God and a call to the kingdom of God. The person who hears the call primarily should comprehend that God in his divine plan and deification process, intends to take charge of this entire universe and His own creation � the whole mankind. He gives us this information in advance, so that we may get enough time for the preparation. Jesus commands and exhorts that there is only one unique prerequisite for attaining the kingdom of God � and that is REPENTANCE.

      It appears to me very clear that if we summarize all Christian sermons ever said or uttered in the entire global arena, the quintessence of all these sermons can be brought into one word and message � Repent. The motive, purpose, and outcome of all sermons are to enable one to repent. From time immemorial, we hear this call -- a call to repent. So it needs to be analyzed for a better understanding. The call to repent suggests that there is universality of sin (Romans 5: 12) and it has permeated to all individuals, without any distinction. Nobody is exempted from Jesus� call, because all of us are entangled by the fetters of sin. The righteousness of God abhors the sin though it accepts the sinner. So the initiative and response from the sinner is imperative for one�s repentance. Jesus leads one to repent only when one is conscious about his sin. Though sin is a correlative term with respect to our relationships and concept of ethics and values, it is basically nothing but the alienation from God. The tragedy and trauma of committing sin is that, we are bound to its fallout, and gradually we rationalize and justifies our stand which in turn, leads to the misery of not knowing the catastrophe which engulfs our life.

      The tendency of one to justify one�s deeds is the natural hitch and bottleneck for repentance. Jesus has said to the Pharisees, "You are those who justifies yourselves in the sight of men. but God knows your heart." St. Luke 16:15. It is an indirect reminder to us that we seldom know our own heart and its subtle reflections within. Many a time, our hearts speak softly and delicately before and after sin, but we don�t bother to listen to that inward voice of God. It is apparent, that it is through Holy Spirit, one become aware of ones sin. Since God has said, "...if I Go, I will send a comforter who will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment. (St. John 16:12). Repentance demands the surrender of conscience to God�s will and plan. When Holy Spirit talks to us through our conscience, it is our duty to listen those soft voice. This enables one to repent. Unconditional repentance leads to confession of sin and thereby to absolution of sins. When the sins are forgiven, we are destined to enter into the Kingdom of God. And that is our call and vocation.

      Let me conclude with that aspiration of entering into the kingdom of god and I wish all those who read this may enjoy the glorious and triumphant life with Jesus in the Kingdom of God. May God bless us.

      Fr. Thomas Kurien

    • IndianOrthodox@hotmail.com