For more details-earthquake-Reply

  • B. Raju
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2001
      Dear Brother,

      Greetings to you in the name of our Lord Jesus who saves us always.

      Thank you very much for your reply. You might have heard about the devastating earth quake happend here in North Gujarat.

      Luckly we all are escaped. One of my uncles sons were there at Gandhidham, with family and they also miraculously escaped from earth quake.

      I am also from Quilon. I am from ANCHAL belonging to Thaluvachira
      family, we are staying at Alencherry and members of St. Mary's Orthodox
      Church Mehsana.

      I have been here in Mehsana since last 20 years and have been working as the Secretary of our Church here and my younger brother Mr. T.B. Thomas is staying at Kalol (near to Ahmedabad) and is the Secretary St.George Church at Kalol. We both come under the diocese at Mumbai and during the last November we both became Saxons by the hands of HG Gheevarghese Mar Coorilose.

      Anyway come to the matter of earthquake. I have been on leave for last two days, firstly due to troubles of earth quake and other problems.

      The earthquake happend at 8.45 at Katch district ( it is the 2nd largest district in India) originally it occured at Anjar Taluka HQ and many villages simultenously at Bachhua, Gandhidham, Kutch, Butch, and Ahmedabad and other places. In the map you can see that Mehsana and Kalol are in between these places, but nothing seriously happend here. I was in School alongwith my children for Republic day programme. In the midest of the Programme it happend and the people runaway to different places.

      I also understood the happenings though I felt some fear, I strongly prayed to our Lord in heart and stand there where I am standing looking for my children. As both of my children came out I spent more time there. ( Because I have a feeling always I am in the Hands of our Lord) that I will tell you later, the wonderful happenings happend in my life.

      It was lasted for about 1 minute. Later the news started about the
      happenings. At Ahmedabad Flats having many storeys directly went below
      the earth along with the occupants, very few were escaped. In Buch firstly it went up for more than one meter above and suddenly went down almost all big buildings damaged and crumbled. Thousands of people died. Filled villages become barren lands, nothing left on the top. Later rescue operations started from all sides. The main road going to Katch is passing in front of our House ( Mehsana- Radhanpur road) so I can see the things almost happening.

      All the hospitals filled.

      Dead Bodies are letting fire with Tyres, Wood and diesel.

      Many news later.

      May God Bless all.
      With love.

      B.Raju