Re: Laity and laying of hands

  • Chev. Thomas Abraham, Kuwait
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2009
      Dear Benny,

      I don't understand in which context you are asking this question. However, you may please note that laymen are doing (and can do) this at the time of marriage of their children or grandchildren, teachers are doing it for their students, etc. I think at any occasion, elders can lay their hand on others to pray for them.

      Regards

      Chev. Thomas Abraham
      Bahrain.

      --- In IndianOrthodox@yahoogroups.com, Benny Abraham P, Kunnamkulam <indianorthodox@...> wrote:

      > I would like to know:
      >
      > In Orthodox Church, who is permitted to put his hand on someone's forehead and pray?
      > Are laymen (Almayakar) permitted to do so, why?
      >
      > Benny Abraham
      > Kunnamkulam

    • RAJU THALUVACHIRA
      Message 2 of 7 , May 6, 2009
        Glory to God

        Most Resp.& Dearly beloved Holy Brethren,

        This has reference to the subject regarding Laity and laying of hands.
        According to Bible, God lives in us. Our Body is the temple of God.
        We have to show God to others through our life.

        God has given us many many powers, but we are not at all using it.
        How many of us are praying for sick with full faith that by this prayer he / she will be cured.
        How many of us are blessing others believing�with this blessings they are blessed.

        I have been calling you Holy brethren (why) you are Christians? You have to understand God is living in us and we �must be Holy.

        God has given enough powers to us, utilise it. Bless everybody. God has given that power to us. If the God given the power to the Disciples it is not a particular group, it is for all...
        Abraham to all Holy Fathers blessed next generation. Yes we should Bless others and become a Blessing  to all. By the Grace of God we can do anything with faith, nothing is impossible for a comman man who believes firmly in God. Be blessed and be a blessing to others always...

        Are any Christian poor? No never, if he/she is Christian he/she cannot not be poor, because our beloved father is� very rich. We are His Children. Confidently place your requirements before Him and experience the difference. Once again I request all to Bless others and be a blessing to Others ever & ever.....

        Pray for all ever & ever with love

        Raju Baby Thaluvachira Mehsana
      • Thomas Samuel, Kenya
        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2009
          Dear Beloved In Christ

          There are Different Kinds Of Spiritual Gifts.BUT THE SAME SPIRIT GIVES THEM........................The Spirit's presence is shown in some way in each person for Good of All(1corith 12:4-7).....
          But it is the same spirit who does all this,as wishes,he give diiferent gift to each person.

          (1 corinth 12:27-29)In the Church,God has put all in one place, in the first place Apostles,in the second place prophets and in the third place teachers..............then those who perform miracles,follwed by those who are given the power of healing or to help others.
          They are not all apostles or prophets or teachers...

          We have to follow these words of apostle Paul in regards to spiritual gifts.
          However we must observe the words of St. James (5:14-15) for the sick people.

          With prayers
          Thomas Samuel
          Kenya
        • Benny Abraham, Kunnamkulam
          Message 4 of 7 , May 12, 2009
            Dear Chev. Thomas Abraham,

            I have seen that in many prayer groups, prayer leaders keep their hands on the heads of others during the time of the prayers of healing. Is this right or wrong in the case of Orthodox Christians?

            PS

            I don't know what exactly Chev. means.

            Benny Abraham
            Kunnamkulam

            Moderators' Note

            Chev. is short for Chevalier, a title of honour given by His Holiness the Patriarch of Antioch.
          • Kumarie Alexander, Leeds, UK
            Message 5 of 7 , May 27, 2009
              I just recently read the opinions of some of the members about the
              laity laying their hands or doing the sign of the cross on the
              foreheads of somebody else. There were references in some of the
              writings where only a bishop or a priest have the authority to bless
              the person with a cross. I quite agree that if a bishop or a priest is
              present that they have the authority to carry out this blessing. But I
              would like to ask my learned friends a few questions.

              1. As a mother was I wrong to do the sign of the cross on my children's
              forehead before I put them to sleep each night?

              2. Was I wrong to do the sign of the cross on my children's forehead
              with the holy oil of Parumala church when they first started school,
              the beginning of each school year, or when they go for exams or when
              they had to undertake long journeys?

              3. Was I wrong to bless them with a sign of the cross on their forehead
              with the holy oil when they leave home to the university?

              4. Was I wrong to bless them with the holy oil when they were leaving
              home to get married in the church?

              5. Was I wrong to but the holy oil on my son's forehead each night when
              he was in a coma for five weeks in the intensive care unit in a
              hospital in Canada?

              I did it for the assurance that my children will be protected by
              Almighty God, Mother Mary and Parumala Thirumeni.

              Kumarie Alexander
              Leeds, U.K.
            • Dr K N Thomas, Kottayam
              Message 6 of 7 , May 30, 2009
                I am glad Ms Kumarie Alexander has raised these questions, if she was wrong
                to do the sign of the cross on her children's
                forehead before she put them to sleep each night; etc.

                I think a large section of Orthodox parents do that. My daughter was always
                eager to get her mom to do that especially before her exams and at times
                when she was worried over some thing.

                Let me request that we must not pronounce such acts of prayer and devotion,
                as unorthodox or unchristian. As believers each one of us has the privilege
                to invoke God's blessings in such small visible expressions of Faith.

                --
                Dr K N Thomas, Kottayam