Re: The Orthodox Study Bible

  • Abraham Chirackal, Davenport, Iowa
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2009
      Dear Kurien Daniel Achen, Thank you for bringing this subject. As you said, the new Orthodox Study Bible is a valuable resource. Do you know whether our church had any input into this project? Also, is anybody working on a Malayalam translation? I think it will be a good project to undertake collectively by the both factions of our Church.

      It will be beneficial to all of us, if our seminary students or somebody knowledgeable make a side-by-side comparison with catholic and protestant translations.

      Thank you,
      Abraham Chirackal, Davenport, Iowa
    • Susan Eapen, Bangalore
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2009
        Respected Father,

        Is the Orthodox Study Bible available in India? Is there any move by our Church to order in bulk and sell though our outlets so that we too can have access to it?

        Susan Eapen
        Bangalore
      • Jessie Jacob, Philadelphia
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2009
          Respected Achen,
          An year ago, I bought the complete Orthodox Study Bible with the Apocrypha from Conciliar Press as a birthday gift for my 12 year old daughter. She has been using the lectionary at the end for daily devotion. Since receiving this Bible, she completed all of the New Testament and most of the Old Testament books. The study guide format of this Bible is highly engaging and I believe this is why she is hooked on to it daily. I agree with you that it is a great resource for all Christians and especially for Orthodox Christians because the commentaries are based on the ancient Christian perspective. This Bible is instrumental in developing appreciation for Orthodoxy and is truly a great gift for young people.

          Sincerely,
          Jessy Jacob
          St. Thomas Church, Philadelphia
        • Susan Eapen, Bangalore
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2009
            As long as we do not have communion with the Eastern Orthodox (Byzantine), (hope that happens soon) any initiative to use this initiative of the Orthodox Study Bible by our church at an official level may not be possible.

            If I am not mistaken, in one of the pages the study bible labels us as "heretics" (which is logical considering the rift). (I have the New Testament + Psalms gifted to me by a beloved achen)

            But the Orthodox Study Bible is a very good initiative and is becoming popular. The explanations and interpretations given are very good for serious study. Hope we can remove hurdles to be able to use this work in a big way(especially considering that we are unable to have one Bible of our own since long)

            Christ is Risen!
            Mathew Samuel
            Albany, NY

            --- In IndianOrthodox@yahoogroups.com, Susan Eapen, Bangalore <indianorthodox@...> wrote:

            > Respected Father,
            >
            > Is the Orthodox Study Bible available in India? Is there any move by our Church to order in bulk and sell though our outlets so that we too can have access to it?
            >
            > Susan Eapen
            > Bangalore
          • Mathew Samuel, Albany, NY
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2009

              <indianorthodox@...> wrote:
              > Respected Father,
              > Is the Orthodox Study Bible available in India? Is there any move by our
              Church to order in bulk and sell though our outlets so that we too can have
              access to it?
              > Susan Eapen

              Moderators' Note:
              This message was previously approved, but during our routine formatting, the author's name in the header of that message was incorrectly entered as 'Susan Eapen'. We regret this inadvertent error.
            • George Thomas, Melbourne
              Message 6 of 7 , May 17, 2012
                Dear All,

                I agree that the Orthodox Study Bible brought out by the Byzantine Church is an excellent source of study.

                I would encourage all English reading Orthodox Christians to get one, especially the younger and newer generation who cannot read Malayalam.

                We in Melbourne have been fortunate as it is available for purchase in some of the Christian bookshops and Coptic Church bookshops.

                God Bless.

                Prayers, regards and thanks,
                George Thomas, Melbourne