Re: Communion - Need to Reconcile

  • Dr. George, Dubai
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 26, 2002
      Dear Madam Sara,

      It gives me much pain to read the comment of sister churches about
      our church. But I understand that it could be due to their ignorance
      and our wrong practices. The orthodox church places St.Mary at the
      highest place as 'Yeldhos Aloho' not as 'the mother of Jesus'. It was
      the practice to concecrate the alter in every church in the name
      of 'Dhaivamathavu'. The church believe that the resurrected Jesus was
      revealed first to a woman and not to his desciples. The church
      remembers several'shudhimathical'. The sincere prayers rising from
      the women of our church is the only strength to the church stability.

      Even today when we enter into any church we could see the praying
      women, but they never claim for their role. Because our church never
      make them in the managing committe. The time will make changes for it
      soon. The church never considers women as 'first EVE' but St.Mary the
      second EVE'. Of course the church do not agree to ordain them priests
      I am sure that our chuch leaders may be able to tell about Sara's
      point better.

      with prayers
      Dr. George, Dubai
    • vendrappilly@..
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 27, 2002
        Dear Mani Sam,

        Yes Mr. Mani Sam if everybody accept and adopt your 1st and the most
        suggestion "that no further monies will be spent for litigation irrespective
        of the outcome of the Association Meeting" there would only be one
        "CHRISTIAN CHURCH". I did this during 23 years back when I head the St.
        Thomas Orthodox Congregation in Saudi Arabia irrespective of Kalpanas from
        our various Thirumenis.

        Babu.
      • jdan@..
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 28, 2002
          It was refreshing to see a woman's point of view on this topic in this
          forum. I have long felt that this forum would be richer, if more women
          participated in the discussions and I have expressed this sentiment in a

          Sarah, you say that some of our sister churches give us the label of "Worse
          than Taliban"! Worse than Taliban? Well not quite, but sometimes that label
          would seem to fit our church practices. It is sad but true that we spend a
          lot of our energy in the name of 'Orthodoxy', to keep women subordinated in
          our church affairs. We may explain it by invoking a number of dubious claims
          relating to traditions and dogmas etc.

          Again Sarah points out another of our failings. This is the practice of
          often ignoring the sanction and teachings of our Lord in many aspects and at
          the same time gives undue emphasis to old practices and traditions to
          support some of our archaic practices.

          The other important point in Sarah's posting in my opinion is the refreshing
          angle of stressing the need for reconciling with the party who caused injury
          and grief to us (as well as the other party that we have caused injury to).
          This is very difficult but sure way to resolve conflicts and a truly
          Christian behaviour.

          Willy I Daniel
        • Fr. M. K. Kuriakose
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 28, 2002
            It is a matter of praise to God that Abimon Joy asked
            our prayers for his father Joy Varghese, passed on
            last year. We all are with you. Just to assure you
            that we will remember your father in the worship.

            I feel proud of children who can think good of their
            parents because they brought them up in the Lord and
            not because they made a lot of money for them. Our
            perspective is changing. It must change. Thanks be to
            God. Our Lord is the Living God and we have hope and
            peace in HIM, HIM alone.

            Love. achen MKK
          • John Kunnathu
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 28, 2002
              Congratulations to Babu Thomas for this prophetic call for change. I
              earnestly wish and pray that we have more people who think this way.

              Regards,
              John Kunnathu
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 28, 2002
                "He is a foolish traveler who sees pleasant meadows on his journey and
                forgets where he is going. Therefore let our hearts yearn with all our desire
                for our heavenly home, let them desire nothing in this world which they must
                leave quickly. If we are truly sheep of the heavenly Shepherd, and are not
                arrested by any delight alone the way, we shall be satisfied with eternal
                pastures on our arrival there."

                St. Gregory the Great.
                "I have set the Lord always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall
                not be moved." Psalms 16:8
              • Mathew Samuel, Queens, NY
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 1 7:55 AM
                  Dear all,

                  In this time of riots and hatred in India, especially Gujarat, it
                  would be great to spare a moment praying for the lives lost and the
                  sufferings of the people hurt.

                  Please pray for all the victims,irrespective of whether Hindus or
                  Muslims. Please pray that better sense prevails. India loses all, if it loses
                  its secular fabric.

                  There is need for a lot of forgiving and forgetting from both sides.
                  Please pray that the Holy Spirit works in a way only He can to help
                  resolve the currently enflamed situation.

                  Please pray for all people there in the midst of the horrific
                  happenings in Gujarat in the name of God and religion.

                  Please pray hard that this does not escalate into a nation wide
                  scenario of bloodbath.

                  If 1700 people( we of the IOIF are that strong today, by the grace of
                  God) pray for a common cause with sincere heart and tears, will God
                  not listen?

                  Regards,
                  Mathew, Queens,NY.
                • IOIF Moderators
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 1 8:47 AM
                    FROM THE DESK OF MODERATORS:

                    The past few years have seen the launching of a lot of web sites of Our Church
                    and her various parishes, some bearing testimony to individual brilliance and
                    command over technical skills.

                    But we still have a lot of work to do in the IT arena especially in the
                    Internet world. There has to be a collective effort, with glory of Christ and
                    His Church as the ultimate goal.

                    During our recent discussions (December 2001) with Rev.(Dr.) K. M. George,
                    Principal, Theological Seminary, Kottayam, Achan has emphasized his keenness to
                    develop a powerful web site for our Seminary. As per Achan's plans/vision, this
                    will not just be a web site for seminary. It should have the potential to grow
                    as one of the biggest resource on internet on "Orthodoxy" and will include
                    works and philosophy of our spiritual leaders like (Late) H. G. (Dr.)Paulose
                    Mar Gregorios. The site will have a bookstall also which sells books
                    related to our church and "Orthodoxy". One should be able to gather any
                    information related to Orthodox Church from the site.

                    Rev.(Dr.) K. M. George has also requested the services of professionals/volunteers from IOIF who can contribute for this project in
                    whatever way they can.

                    On behalf of IOIF, one of our very young and committed members, Mr. Robin
                    Panicker (Home Town Trivandrum) who is a software Engineer by profession,
                    working for a multi-national company in Bangalore has initiated some leg work
                    in this regard with overall guidance from Rev.(Dr.) K. M. George and other
                    faculty members of the Seminary. He has already done some preliminary functions
                    towards building this web site.

                    Let us quote from Robin: "Let me tell something about Achan. He is the
                    real inspiration behind this project. He is one of the best scholars we have
                    in our church. He has taken lot of initiative to modernize seminary. Do visit
                    the seminary whenever you come to Kerala. It's really worth seeing."

                    We are looking for assistance in developing the web site particularly in areas of
                    1) Programming
                    2) Graphics and Site Design
                    3) Content Management

                    Also we need participation of senior and experienced persons who can coordinate
                    the entire project(Project Management). Also there is lot of work like
                    converting documents to PDF, creating real audio or MP3 file (Sruthi School of
                    Music), etc.

                    Another member of IOIF, Mr. Mathew Samuel(Queens, New York) who is a young
                    professional working in this field along with his wife Ms. Sumam (who also is a
                    computer professional) has shown their interest to associate with this project.

                    This message is a feeble effort to get all computer professionals/students
                    together, try and create a synergy among them and focus the immense talents we
                    have to come out with wonders for our Church, in the process improving
                    ourselves spiritually and in our chosen vocation.

                    We are a strong 1700 members now in the IOIF, by the power of the Holy Spirit.
                    There must be many among us who are working in the Computer industry or
                    studying to be IT professionals.

                    We urge all members of IOIF meeting the above criterion and driven by a passion
                    to serve the Church to send their willingness in a short message to
                    IndianOrthodox@ hotmail.com (without space after @) with relevant
                    information regarding the way they can contribute in this venture.

                    In addition to computer professionals, any other volunteers who can contribute
                    to this important project in whatever way are welcome. Only through proper
                    integration of the technology with the correct/relevant information, we can
                    bring results.

                    Please note that the entire work/time will be non-remunerative, at least for
                    the time being. The project work will include coding in ASP(Active Server
                    Pages), besides HTML and JavaScript.

                    We ask for your prayers in this humble endeavor of ours. Please send in your
                    consent for association with the above effort ASAP to
                    IndianOrthodox@ hotmail.com(without the space after @). Let's use our talents
                    to promote the causes and activities of our Church and her institutions.

                    Regards.

                    Moderators, IOIF.