Indian Church - Duty towards Motherland

  • Mathew Samuel, NY
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 26, 2002
      Lots of gratitude to Col. Mathew Abraham and people like him for
      serving this great country on the battlefront, by sacrificing their
      peace in order that we may sleep in peace. May God bless you.

      I feel in this time of great tension between India and Pakistan the
      Indian Orthodox Church has a significant role to play.

      First and foremost, we ought to pray hard and remember our great
      country in our daily prayers and Lenten prayers. The same emotion
      that we have when we pray for our brethren in pain, must come when we
      pray for our beloved India in distress.

      We need to pray for people like Col.Mathew who are serving the nation
      on the front lines.

      We need to pray for peace in the region and de-escalation of tension.

      We need to pray that leaders in both India and Pakistan are guided by
      the Holy Spirit to work for lasting peace.

      In case of a war, we ought to be visible in our support for our
      beloved motherland and be right behind the country in her hour of
      need.

      We must show the world and ourselves that while we, of the Malankara
      Orthodox community, are true Christians, if national duty calls, we
      do not shirk our responsibilities, and will be there for the country
      shoulder to shoulder with any other true Indian.

      Regards,
      Mathew
      (Queens, NY)
    • Dr. George, Dubai
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 26, 2002
        Dear Madam Sara,

        It gives me much pain to read the comment of sister churches about
        our church. But I understand that it could be due to their ignorance
        and our wrong practices. The orthodox church places St.Mary at the
        highest place as 'Yeldhos Aloho' not as 'the mother of Jesus'. It was
        the practice to concecrate the alter in every church in the name
        of 'Dhaivamathavu'. The church believe that the resurrected Jesus was
        revealed first to a woman and not to his desciples. The church
        remembers several'shudhimathical'. The sincere prayers rising from
        the women of our church is the only strength to the church stability.

        Even today when we enter into any church we could see the praying
        women, but they never claim for their role. Because our church never
        make them in the managing committe. The time will make changes for it
        soon. The church never considers women as 'first EVE' but St.Mary the
        second EVE'. Of course the church do not agree to ordain them priests
        I am sure that our chuch leaders may be able to tell about Sara's
        point better.

        with prayers
        Dr. George, Dubai
      • vendrappilly@..
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 27, 2002
          Dear Mani Sam,

          Yes Mr. Mani Sam if everybody accept and adopt your 1st and the most
          suggestion "that no further monies will be spent for litigation irrespective
          of the outcome of the Association Meeting" there would only be one
          "CHRISTIAN CHURCH". I did this during 23 years back when I head the St.
          Thomas Orthodox Congregation in Saudi Arabia irrespective of Kalpanas from
          our various Thirumenis.

          Babu.
        • jdan@..
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 28, 2002
            It was refreshing to see a woman's point of view on this topic in this
            forum. I have long felt that this forum would be richer, if more women
            participated in the discussions and I have expressed this sentiment in a

            Sarah, you say that some of our sister churches give us the label of "Worse
            than Taliban"! Worse than Taliban? Well not quite, but sometimes that label
            would seem to fit our church practices. It is sad but true that we spend a
            lot of our energy in the name of 'Orthodoxy', to keep women subordinated in
            our church affairs. We may explain it by invoking a number of dubious claims
            relating to traditions and dogmas etc.

            Again Sarah points out another of our failings. This is the practice of
            often ignoring the sanction and teachings of our Lord in many aspects and at
            the same time gives undue emphasis to old practices and traditions to
            support some of our archaic practices.

            The other important point in Sarah's posting in my opinion is the refreshing
            angle of stressing the need for reconciling with the party who caused injury
            and grief to us (as well as the other party that we have caused injury to).
            This is very difficult but sure way to resolve conflicts and a truly
            Christian behaviour.

            Willy I Daniel
          • Fr. M. K. Kuriakose
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 28, 2002
              It is a matter of praise to God that Abimon Joy asked
              our prayers for his father Joy Varghese, passed on
              last year. We all are with you. Just to assure you
              that we will remember your father in the worship.

              I feel proud of children who can think good of their
              parents because they brought them up in the Lord and
              not because they made a lot of money for them. Our
              perspective is changing. It must change. Thanks be to
              God. Our Lord is the Living God and we have hope and
              peace in HIM, HIM alone.

              Love. achen MKK
            • John Kunnathu
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 28, 2002
                Congratulations to Babu Thomas for this prophetic call for change. I
                earnestly wish and pray that we have more people who think this way.

                Regards,
                John Kunnathu
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 28, 2002
                  "He is a foolish traveler who sees pleasant meadows on his journey and
                  forgets where he is going. Therefore let our hearts yearn with all our desire
                  for our heavenly home, let them desire nothing in this world which they must
                  leave quickly. If we are truly sheep of the heavenly Shepherd, and are not
                  arrested by any delight alone the way, we shall be satisfied with eternal
                  pastures on our arrival there."

                  St. Gregory the Great.
                  "I have set the Lord always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall
                  not be moved." Psalms 16:8
                • Mathew Samuel, Queens, NY
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
                    Dear all,

                    In this time of riots and hatred in India, especially Gujarat, it
                    would be great to spare a moment praying for the lives lost and the
                    sufferings of the people hurt.

                    Please pray for all the victims,irrespective of whether Hindus or
                    Muslims. Please pray that better sense prevails. India loses all, if it loses
                    its secular fabric.

                    There is need for a lot of forgiving and forgetting from both sides.
                    Please pray that the Holy Spirit works in a way only He can to help
                    resolve the currently enflamed situation.

                    Please pray for all people there in the midst of the horrific
                    happenings in Gujarat in the name of God and religion.

                    Please pray hard that this does not escalate into a nation wide
                    scenario of bloodbath.

                    If 1700 people( we of the IOIF are that strong today, by the grace of
                    God) pray for a common cause with sincere heart and tears, will God
                    not listen?

                    Regards,
                    Mathew, Queens,NY.
                  • IOIF Moderators
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
                      FROM THE DESK OF MODERATORS:

                      The past few years have seen the launching of a lot of web sites of Our Church
                      and her various parishes, some bearing testimony to individual brilliance and
                      command over technical skills.

                      But we still have a lot of work to do in the IT arena especially in the
                      Internet world. There has to be a collective effort, with glory of Christ and
                      His Church as the ultimate goal.

                      During our recent discussions (December 2001) with Rev.(Dr.) K. M. George,
                      Principal, Theological Seminary, Kottayam, Achan has emphasized his keenness to
                      develop a powerful web site for our Seminary. As per Achan's plans/vision, this
                      will not just be a web site for seminary. It should have the potential to grow
                      as one of the biggest resource on internet on "Orthodoxy" and will include
                      works and philosophy of our spiritual leaders like (Late) H. G. (Dr.)Paulose
                      Mar Gregorios. The site will have a bookstall also which sells books
                      related to our church and "Orthodoxy". One should be able to gather any
                      information related to Orthodox Church from the site.

                      Rev.(Dr.) K. M. George has also requested the services of professionals/volunteers from IOIF who can contribute for this project in
                      whatever way they can.

                      On behalf of IOIF, one of our very young and committed members, Mr. Robin
                      Panicker (Home Town Trivandrum) who is a software Engineer by profession,
                      working for a multi-national company in Bangalore has initiated some leg work
                      in this regard with overall guidance from Rev.(Dr.) K. M. George and other
                      faculty members of the Seminary. He has already done some preliminary functions
                      towards building this web site.

                      Let us quote from Robin: "Let me tell something about Achan. He is the
                      real inspiration behind this project. He is one of the best scholars we have
                      in our church. He has taken lot of initiative to modernize seminary. Do visit
                      the seminary whenever you come to Kerala. It's really worth seeing."

                      We are looking for assistance in developing the web site particularly in areas of
                      1) Programming
                      2) Graphics and Site Design
                      3) Content Management

                      Also we need participation of senior and experienced persons who can coordinate
                      the entire project(Project Management). Also there is lot of work like
                      converting documents to PDF, creating real audio or MP3 file (Sruthi School of
                      Music), etc.

                      Another member of IOIF, Mr. Mathew Samuel(Queens, New York) who is a young
                      professional working in this field along with his wife Ms. Sumam (who also is a
                      computer professional) has shown their interest to associate with this project.

                      This message is a feeble effort to get all computer professionals/students
                      together, try and create a synergy among them and focus the immense talents we
                      have to come out with wonders for our Church, in the process improving
                      ourselves spiritually and in our chosen vocation.

                      We are a strong 1700 members now in the IOIF, by the power of the Holy Spirit.
                      There must be many among us who are working in the Computer industry or
                      studying to be IT professionals.

                      We urge all members of IOIF meeting the above criterion and driven by a passion
                      to serve the Church to send their willingness in a short message to
                      IndianOrthodox@ hotmail.com (without space after @) with relevant
                      information regarding the way they can contribute in this venture.

                      In addition to computer professionals, any other volunteers who can contribute
                      to this important project in whatever way are welcome. Only through proper
                      integration of the technology with the correct/relevant information, we can
                      bring results.

                      Please note that the entire work/time will be non-remunerative, at least for
                      the time being. The project work will include coding in ASP(Active Server
                      Pages), besides HTML and JavaScript.

                      We ask for your prayers in this humble endeavor of ours. Please send in your
                      consent for association with the above effort ASAP to
                      IndianOrthodox@ hotmail.com(without the space after @). Let's use our talents
                      to promote the causes and activities of our Church and her institutions.

                      Regards.

                      Moderators, IOIF.