A few thoughts on the 40th Friday and the Lazarus's Saturday

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril, Kottayam
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
      Reading: From the Gospels according to St. Matthew 4: 1-11 and

      St. John 11: 28 -46

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      The 40th Friday and the Lazarus’ Saturday are two entrances to the blessed
      Holy Week. We, all the faithful are desired to go through these doors to
      reach the Holy Week and especially our Lord’s glory of the resurrection at
      the end of the Holy Week. We all are aware of the significance of the
      40thFriday of the Holy Great Lent.

      1) Our Lord Jesus was lead to the wilderness by the Holy Spirit to be
      tempted by Satan. When we might have trials or temptations in our lives,
      without our pre-knowledge, we should not get desperate. We must realize the
      presence of the Holy Spirit who will enable us to win over Satan and the
      evil spirits. In normal cases, we all get confused and fall victims of utter
      despair. This is not the ideal nature of a true faithful. He or she must
      rejoice in the abideness of God Almighty and win over the Satan.

      2) Our Lord fasted for forty days and nights together and then only He
      was tempted by Satan. The Satan applied the same three tricks by which he
      won Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. The Satan tried to play the game
      with the very old trump cards of the desire of the eyes, desire of the body
      and majesty of life. He approached Lord Jesus with the verses from the
      Scripture. But our Lord could react effectively to the Satan. We also should
      learn to win over Satan and the satanic powers that might approach us with
      the verses from the Holy Scripture. We must attain the ability to
      distinguish the satanic powers from all the powers that might face in our
      daily lives.

      3) The resurrection of Lazarus offers us the resurrection of all the
      departed. It teaches that everything is possible to God and nothing is
      impossible to God Almighty. In our daily lives we must give priority for the
      heavenly and Godly matters as Mary, sister of Lazarus did. Our Lord
      appreciated her saying that she has selected the good part.

      Let’s observe this year’s Passion Week with more awe-feeling and real faith.

      May God Almighty bless us all.

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril.
    • George Daniel, Suez, Egypt
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2009
        Dear Mr. Jose Kurian Puliyeril,

                 Thank you for your short and very relevant posting "A few thoughts on the 40th Friday and the Lazarus's Saturday'' in the ICON Digest No. 3440 dated 06.04.2009. It is good to see such postings. We get too much of postings on matters like 'Church and Politics', 'Dress Code' and  'Worship Language' which in the end get dragged on for too long, while spiritual matters are often forgotten or seem to take second place. I hope ICON Moderators put some brakes on similar matters when they get stretched for long.

        Joseachayan please continue to make such inspiring postings.

        May God bless you and your good work.
        With regards,

        George Daniel
        Suez
        Egypt
      • Kuriakose Mathew, Muscat
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2009
          Dear Moderators,
          While I am going to the sites, it is with great pleasure to know that
          Malankara Orthodox syrian church is running a Medical college of ours own.
          Please visit the site and see how many of our church members are
          received admission there.

          http://www.indianetzone.com/39/malankara_orthodox_syrian_church_medical_college.htm

          If our church is running like an institution like these, at least few
          of our members will have to get admission as every community is running
          the institution and get the benefits to the members.

          Best Regards
          Kurikose Mathew,
          Muscat.