Effective Leadership-3

  • John Kunnathu
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2001
      In the messages I posted earlier I suggested
      that our leaders, who are our bishops and priests, can
      perform better if they are relieved of all the
      administrative responsibilities. I cited an example from
      the Old Testament--the advice given by Jethro to Moses.
      Now I would like to cite another example.
      This time from the New Testament. At the infancy of the
      Christian churh, the apostles were in charge of
      everything. But as the church began to grow in
      number, they couldn't simply handle all the various
      responsibilities. That is when the apostles decided to
      appoint a new set of leaders to share their
      responsibilities--the seven deacons. The
      apostles handed over all the administrative
      matters to them, and said, "We will engage ourselves in
      prayer and in preaching the word".
      The apostles believed that praying and
      teaching the word of God had a higher priority over the
      internal administration of the community.
      Today we would like our bishops and priests
      say just as the apostles said then: "We will
      free ourselves for prayer and for teaching the
      Word of God. Let some others take care of all
      the administraive matters."
    • abe.george@onebox.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2001
        I agree with you on an ideological level. But administration of a
        church like organization is much more complex now than the biblical
        times. I suspect that many of our bishops and priests will choose the
        administrative responsibility over the preaching responsibility if
        given a "one or the other" choice.

        If we have an elected or appointed group of administrators for
        managing and running the organization, who will they report to? If
        they report to the bishops and priests, then we are back to square
        one. i.e., Now the bishops are expected to manage the administrators.

        -- Abe George, Washington
      • Fr. Joy Pyngolil
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2001
          Well, I like the comments by both Kunnathu and Abe.

          Leadership yeah, we are in a leadership crisis. The word "episkopa" means
          overseer. Church ministry is three fold: priestly, prophetic and diakonal
          (service). Priestly- equals liturgy, prophetic equals standing for justice,
          and diakonal for serving the poor and the needy. Apostles did it, Jethjro
          gave that advice to his son-in-law for effective administartion of the fold.

          I beleive hierarchy is insecure at this point. Or there is an insecurity
          feeling covers over them that they are all after material possessions. For
          example instead of delegation powers we are still concentrating powers at
          the center. The centralized administration is good but concentraion of power is
          not good. No theology can support it.

          Different offices and portfolios shall be developed and everything shall be
          done in a coordinated fashion. Our constitution is an example of it.
          Diocesan funds (monies)shall be deposited in the name of the duiocesan
          metropolitsn (Article 53). It is high time to make chnages, not that any
          bishop will misuse their funds but for clarity. Not olny that sometimes
          yes-men can manipulate them.

          For example, the Diocese of America collected funds for diocesan center,
          where is that money deposited and how, personal name or in the name of the
          diocese incorporated?

          I believe all bishops shall be out of the financial managemnt of the church
          and so is the case with priest. Both bishops and priest shall be fully
          supported by the church and take their insecurity away. They hold on to
          money because of insecurity.

          Opposing view points welcome.

          Fr. JP
        • John Kunnathu
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
            Dear Abe:
            Thanks for participating in the discussion, and
            contributing your ideas.
            I agree with you. The administration of the
            present-day church is much more complex than the biblical
            church. Therefore we need a much more effective
            leadership. The apostles could solve their problem just by
            appointing the seven deacons. But that wouldn't be enough
            today.
            If many of our leaders would choose administration
            oven praying and preaching, that would be because they
            lack the vision that the apostles had and the wisdom that
            Jethro had. I think we are fortunate to have leaders like
            Fr.Pyngolil , who maintain the vision of the apostles. We
            hope many more leaders will soon join this group, and
            declare along with the apostles that they would give
            priority to their real responsibilities.
            Regards
            John Kunnathu