Kalpana: Mumbai Tragedy

  • Mar Greevarghese Coorilos, Mumbai
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2008
      Mar Greevarghese Coorilos.
      Metropolitan of Mumbai,
      President, Maharashtra council of Churches

      The Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church,
      Orthodox Church Centre, sector 10 A,
      Dr.Mar Theophilus Marg, Vashi,
      Navi Mumbai-400 703, India,
      28/11/2008.

      Dearly beloved in Christ,
      All of us are aware of the gruesome happenings in Mumbai. While the identity and motives of the perpetrators remain unclear, human lives are lost, innocents are being injured and everybody is shocked.
      This is a time when we the members of the Church should condemn acts of violence in the name of ideology and religion. We the church should unite in payer and for lives lost, injured and the families broken due to this heinous act.

      While remaining united in payer, it is also our responsibility to spread the message of love, truth and peace as our Lord Jesus Christ has instructed us to do. The Church is the living embodiment of Christ and hence cannot be immune to the happenings around us. The Church and its members, especially the priests are to be instruments of change in our society. The Church cannot be mere spectatos when human lives are being targeted in such brutal fashion; we condemn these acts in the strongest manner possible.

      We the citizens of India should be instrumental in maintaining the harmonious religious and social fabric that is the tradition of this great country of ours. The priest community should be more actively involved in developing the social conscience of our Church. It is the prime duty of our clergy to sensitize and organize people to raise their voice against acts of cowardice from extremist groups who always look to targeting innocent lives.

      We are also grieved in losing one of our young church members, Mr. Varghese Thomas from St.Mary’s Orthodox Church, Dadar, in this attack. He was the Supervisor of Food and Beverages at Hotel Taj, which was the venue of the attack. We offer condolences to the family and pray that his soul finds solace in the bosom of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

      Once again, we exhort all our priests and Church members to unite in prayer for the lives that are lost and to bring comfort and solace to the people who are in grief. The Church also expresses its deep solidarity with the victims of violence not only in Mumbai but also around the world.

      Kindly arrange special prayer session during the Holy Liturgy and prayer meetings.

      Your Shepherd in Christ,

      Geevarghese Mar Coorilos