Sunday Devotional Thoughts for February 10, 2002

  • Fr. Eapen, Mysore
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
      Bible Reading St. John 2:1-11

      Meditation is an essential element of Christian life and the
      season of lent affords a natural opportunity for it. Yet one may
      question whether there is enough meditaion practiced in our church
      today. As we enter the great lent, let us be reminded that this
      should a period of dedication not only to prayer, but also to self -
      examination, penitence and self-purification through unceasing
      reflection on the life and mission of Christ Jesus, our redeemer, the
      redeemer of mankind. The great lent has been observed by the church
      from the fourth century onwards and the Ecumenical Synod of Nicaea
      is known to have made mention of this lent. It is believed that
      initially, during the earlier centuries, this lenten period was the
      time when the Catacumens were prepared for baptism on Easter day. At
      the same time, this lent offered the opportunity for the faithful to
      re-live the passion of Christ, identifying themselves with Christ and
      thereby enjoying spiritual happiness and fulfillment, culminating in
      celebration of the Easter festival.

      We are called upon today to meditate on the marriage at Cana
      where we see the commencement of the miracles of Jesus Christ.
      Jesus and his disciples as well as his family were among the guests
      at the marriage. Wine and food were served in abundance and the best
      wine was served first while the guests were yet sober. According to
      the Jewish custom, the marriage feast lasted for seven days. At some
      point in time during the marriage at Cana, the mother of Jesus
      noticed that the wine had run out and that the hosts were worried.
      She empathized with the host and approached Jesus with the confidence
      that He can help and reported to Him, " They have no wine" (John
      2:3). His Mother then turned to the servants with full confidence in
      her son, Christ Jesus, and said unto the servants, "Whatsoever he
      saith unto you do it" (John2:5). Though Jesus questions his
      mother's concern over the matter and why she would involve Him in it
      when His time had not yet come, it could be interpreted that He
      responded like a dutiful son to His mother and also as the Son of
      God, using His divine power to help the family in a time of despair.
      That instinctive appeal of His Mother reveals the deep abiding
      confidence and faith that she had in Him, not only as the son of man
      but also as the Son of God. This is also an instance which shows how
      our Lord enters into people's lives and intervenes especially in
      times of trouble; how incredibly He suffices in adverse
      circumstances and above all how He enriches life for us. What water
      is to wine, what that embarassing insufficiency was to the relief
      wrought for his host, so is the ordinary life compared to the
      fullness, the adventure, the achievement of the life that Christ
      guides.

      Jesus Christ who was present at the marriage of Cana, the
      Christ who blessed them with new wine has assured us that he will
      certainly be present always with us to redeem us from trials,
      tribulations, and frustrations. What we need is faith and obedience
      to His will. Like the servants of Cana, are we prepared to have
      obedience to the will of God? Just as Jesus transformed the common
      and ordinary water into ambrosial wine, may He continually transform
      us to become efficient Christian witnesses.

      Fr. Eapen, Mysore
    • marksadek
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2002
        "I consider those fallen mourners more blessed than those who have not fallen
        and are not mourning over themselves; because as a result of their fall, they
        have risen by a sure resurrection."

        St. John of the Ladder.
        "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them
        eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them
        out of My hand." John 10:27-28
      • Very Rev. Thomas Mundukuzhy C
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
          HERE IS A REPORT OF THE SUNDAY SCHOOL SUNDAY
          OBSERVATION AT ST. THOMAS, SYRACUSE, NY.

          MUNDUKUZHY ACHEN
          St. Thomas Sunday School, Syracuse, NY observed the Sunday School Sunday on February 3, 2002 with a variety of activities. A meeting comprising students, staff and parents was one of the highlights. Ashley Thomas and Betsy Varghese spoke on the topic 'Sunday School Education for Spiritual Growth'. Oommen Kappil led a Study-Class on 'Prayer for the Departed: Our Faith and Reasoning'. Anil Thomas coordinated a Quiz Competition based on 'Old Testament Stories' (Junior Level) and 'Holy Communion' (Senior Level). A Procession
          and Special Prayers for children were some of the other highlights of the day. Headmaster Mr. Koshy T. Verghese coordinated the events.