Three Nights before Resurrection?

  • Mathew Samuel
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 25, 2002
      Dear all,

      Note the following verse:
      Matthew 12:40 -
      "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the
      whale, so will the Son of man be three days and three nights in the
      heart of the earth."

      The above verse is seen as a prediction by our Lord that he will rise
      again after 3 days. Probably the followers of Jesus understood the
      significance of the verse only later.

      My question is regarding the timing.
      The verse mentions three days and three nights. Now Jesus was
      crucified on Friday, and the first report of resurrection was on
      early Sunday. So we have three days, so to say.

      But - how do we account for "three nights"? Is there another explanation?

      Regards,
      Mathew, Queens, NY.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 29, 2002
        "Humility is the only thing we need; one can still fall having virtues other
        than humility but with humility one does not fall."

        Elder Herman of Mt. Athos.
        "... God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have
        fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the
        truth." 1 John 1:5-6
      • kmathew@...>
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
          Dear Moderators,

          It is with immense pleasure that I bring to your notice the following :
          since you had posted the message for the HOLY QURBANA IN NEPAL,last month, there were so many reply to me and it is worth
          mentioning that tommorw (02/02/2002) they will be conducting a HOLY QURBANA
          AT NEPAL.

          Please find below the mail recd from NIGEL KURIAKOSE, a student of the
          Universal Medical College.
          Once again wishing all the best for the Orthodox fourm Moderators and the
          long vision they had behind this forum.
          Also it is worth to mention particulary Reji Achan - Principal - Nagapur
          Semenary whose constant contact with me
          and every one who guided me with e-mail address of different contacts and
          Thiumanis etc and pray that God bless them all and guide and guard tho
          their life. .

          with prayers
          KURIAKOSE MATHEW,
          AZAIBA, MUSCAT,

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
            Thank you for reminding the creed Orthodox Christians say each
            day, "We believe in One Holy Catholic and Apostolic church --- " This
            is the faith that was with us for 2000 years, which we pray seeking
            God's Mercy to uphold till He shall come again with glory to judge
            the living and the dead.

            In this context, I wish to share a few thoughts provoked by attending
            the Holy Qurbana service in Malayalam (January 26,2002). After
            relocating to Calgary in September 2000, this was the first Malayalam
            service I could participate. The feeling it evokes is still wonderful
            beyond words. The service was celebrated in an Assyrian Orthodox
            Church, here in Calgary. As expected, many were dressed in fine
            clothes & the nagging thoughts still came to mind "Are we really
            awake & prepared for what we are celebrating here, Am I only awake
            because I enjoy the tune & harmony in music?, How many people here
            realize this is not a place for them to show off or talk about what's
            going on in their daily lives apart from Christ? ---- etc."

            English & Syriac in liturgy
            ----------------------------
            A few of the younger generation came & the Achen recited occasional
            prayers in English. This, I presumed was to make the youth also
            participate in worship. I also hope with the Achen, that some seed
            would fall in their hearts to set out to learn about true orthodoxy.
            However, I also felt the apasawram (can't think of word in English)
            with English in Malayalam tones. To a person who speaks English as a
            first language, it would seem weird hearing it. Prior to moving to
            Canada, I might not have noticed it. I could, after attending English
            services by the Orthodox Church in America (OCA) since Sept.2000,
            here in Calgary.

            As always in Malayalam liturgy, when I hear a Syriac word I
            wonder, "What does this word mean?" However, I admit, I have been too
            lazy to learn except few words like "Kurieyelaison". Still, I also
            presume it would be really hard for me, after hearing suriyani for so
            long, should suddenly there be no suriyani words at all in Malayalam
            Liturgy. There are also some "kadicha pottathu" Malayalam words,
            which I have also put in suriyani category.
            I am reminded of Thomas P's post of how the language Jesus used was
            for the common people & how it used to be in the early days of
            church, when by the faith, way of life & their worship, the common
            people of the land lived as Christians.

            For me Liturgy, with changes I have realized I could adjust, but
            dream that one day, a liturgy in Malayalam for common people, a
            liturgy in English for those with English as first language, Liturgy
            in Hindi for common people in North India will also develop with what
            we have now, which is so meaningful to me.

            More than this, I also pray that God watch over our church & we all
            soften our hearts to live in humility. Realizing, how easy it is to
            talk, but how very hard to practice living as Orthodox Christian, Let
            us be encouraged that We can but only if we try, win a winning fight
            against sin, death, Satan and all temptations, corruption around us.
            In Church History, the impact of Christians on life around has
            happened many times .Let us pray & act knowing there is no reason
            that cannot happen in our times too.

            George Varghese
            Calgary, Canada
          • John-Brian Paprock
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
              Dear Mathew,

              The Orthodox reckoning of a "day" begins at sunset - so Good Friday begins
              in the evening of what in western convention is called
              Thursday evening. The Last Supper is traditionally Thursday (which in
              western terms would begin Wednesday evening). So, gospel drama begins
              Wednesday evening (western). So, using western terminology, He was tried
              and crucified and buried Thursday. We actually mourn and have memorial
              services on Good Friday. The traditional Orthodox teaching of Christ's
              descent into hell and freeing the captives there is Friday night (western).
              Then His final hours entombed are in the evening (traditionally before
              midnight) of Saturday night (western), which is why there is often a
              midnight celebration. Three days are the remaining hours before sunset
              Thursday - Thursday night - Friday day - Friday night - Saturday day -
              Saturday night (hours between sunset and midnight) - literally three days
              and three nights!

              In service to Christ and His Church,

              V. Rev. Fr. John-Brian Paprock
              Holy Transfiguration Malankara Orthodox Syrian Mission
              Madison, Wisconsin