Devotional Thoughts for Sunday Oct 5th 2008

  • 'Watchman upon the Walls'
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2008
      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. Mark 2: 23-28

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      Our Lord Jesus Christ and His blessed Apostles were passing through
      the corn field; the Apostles plucked the ears of corn. While the
      Pharisees saw it, they got annoyed because it was on a Sabbath day.
      According to their faith and teachings of their forefathers, it was
      not right to do any job on a Sabbath day and plucking the ears of
      corn was the transgression of the law. So they tried to question our
      Lord. They asked him why His Apostles were not respecting the laws of
      the Israelites. We also follow such a type of observation in our
      Church lives. We all are interested to see whether the priests and
      Bishops are behaving properly or not. If any one is found
      indifferently, we might utilize all our might to publicize them as
      much as we could. Are we not trying to utilize the 'Forums' meant for
      nourishing our spiritual growth and knowledge, for our own arguments
      and counter arguments? First of all we all must realize that the
      Church is the body of Christ, our savior and redeemer, where Christ
      himself is the head. A physical body exercises its physical and
      mental activities in accordance with the instructions from the brain.
      If it is so, why we can't wait for the instructions from Christ, the
      brain of the Church? Kindly think about our role slowly and calmly.

      In last week's reading our Lord cautioned "us" about the leaven of
      the Pharisees and Sadducees. Our Lord said "take heed and beware the
      leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees." Our Lord himself made clear
      about the leaven. He explained what he meant by the term 'leaven'.
      Their false teachings and understandings about the life was the
      leaven meant by our Lord. By objecting the deed of the Apostles, the
      Pharisees were trying to serve their spoiled and leavened advice.
      Apostles might have plucked the corn, as they were sure of the
      teaching of the forefathers to pluck the corn, as mentioned in
      Deuteronomy 23: 25.

      But our Lord faced the accusation of the Pharisees with a counter
      question. He asked them "Have you never read what David did when he
      had need and was a hungered, he and they that were with him". (Verse
      25) Our Lord was referring to the incident in 1 Samuel 21: 6.
      According to the teaching explained in Exodus 25:30, 29: 32-33, and
      Leviticus 24: 9, the showbread was to be consumed by Aaron and his
      sons only and no stranger was allowed to touch it. Still King David
      who was fully conversant of these rules and laws took them and ate
      and gave the share to others with him. Our Lord's attempt was not to
      justify his Apostles, but to point out the wrong procedure in the
      lives of the Jews in general. As stated in verse 27, our Lord made it
      clear that the Sabbath was made for men and not man for Sabbath. This
      is in fact a great lesson for us. In the parable of the Good
      Samaritan, the priest and the Levite cannot be counted as unkind.
      They were rushing to the Jerusalem Temple to offer their prayers in
      the strict manner as per the law. So they could not wait there for a
      few seconds. In our Christian lives we should go after such leavened
      rules and regulations. We should not give a chance in our lives to
      give priority for the leavened ones. The only way to save us is to
      throw away all leavened styles, manners, rules and regulations as we
      might throw away the extremely leavened food items. Our priority must
      be for the love of God and will of God. Before committing something,
      let us make sure that it would be good enough to share the love of
      God and do the will of God. Let us the Holy Spirit in us guide us in
      our domestic and church lives.

      In verse 28 we read, "Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the
      Sabbath." We might think and say, let Jesus Christ be the Lord of
      Sabbath, I don't mind. But for my personal dealings and private life,
      I am the Lord and the master. If we are thinking so, it is high time
      for us to repent and go back to our Lord with tears. Let us analyze
      our own hearts. Let us decide what position is granted to our Lord
      and Savior in our privacies. Kindy examine ourselves and let us
      place our Lord as the Master and everything in our lives.

      May God bless us all to lead a perfect and meaningful Christian life
      witnessing our Lord God.

      -'Watchman upon the walls'