Re: Bishop Candidates

  • Abraham Varghese, Dubai
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2008
      We were awaiting the declaration of metropolitans candidates from Holy Synod
      and screening committee. It is appreciated that all short listed candidates
      are very good. No doubt about it. However, they are not the best among whole
      priests. We should have more candidates to be short listed and submitted to
      Managing committee. Also there should have some from Idikki, Kandandu and
      Agamaly( East and West) dioceses. Many of them are find it quite frustrating
      the way our church's slow phase of movement and church administration. The
      Holy Synod and Managing committee should find a way what the people are
      looking from the church and how we can achieve it. Or we should be able to
      answers and clarify the church stand other wise they will be misleaded by
      other communities. We should think that St.Thomas Orthodox church is not
      belong to central travancore only. There are few metropolitans want to
      retried. what they will do and where they will stay, who will look after
      them. Church should have a plan or Managing committee should find a way for
      the retired metropolitans and we should have some age limit to do so. Then
      we can accomodate more young bishops!!. Also we should see how other
      Episcopal churches have plan for their retired bishops stay and activities.
      Also we should learn that how they select metropolitans. We are like some
      political parties in Kerala. We will not improve and will not allow our
      generation to grow spiritually.
      I requesting all members to pray for good leaders for our church.

      Abraham Varghese - Ayroor
      Dubai.
    • DR M.S.ALEXANDER, LEEDS, ENGLAND
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 5, 2008
        Even Moses was questioned for publishing Ten Commandments inspite of the fact that the Commandments came directly from God. Even in those days there were thunder and lightning on the mountain when God spoke to Mosses. I can see thunder and lightning in our church when the screening committee published the list of ten candidates. �I am not aware of a single procedure that will be acceptable to 100% of our people. If any one can suggest such a procedure he will win nobel prize for establishing �peace in our church.

        The dreams of all those priests and rev rembans to become metropolitans cannot be satisfied. �We need only seven Metropolitans at this time. Some people say even that is too many. All those who were not selected should not feel that they were rejected. The stone that was thrown out can become the corner stone. I am defending the decision of the Managing Committee as a member of the committee. We need all those who were selected and those who were not selected. There is plenty of work for all in our church. Those who were not selected should be contented with the thought that they can continue their good work. They can come forward and support H.H. The Catholicose and end all the conflict in our church. �My uncle, late Rev�Remban Fr�M.C.Kuriakose was keen to continue as a remban, and did not accept the offer to become a Metropolitan. In the end he died peacefully. The fact that he did not become a Metropolitan did not cause any dent in his reputation as a good servant of our church. �There are many other priests in our church doing very good work for our Lord even though they too are not Metropolitans. Those who are selecte should be aware of the burden of the cross they are choosing to carry.

        DR M.S.ALEXANDER, LEEDS, ENGLAND
      • Abraham Joseph
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 6, 2008
          I totally agree with the comments made by Dr. Alexander. Also would like to remind all those aspirants as well as the people (Priests & lay-men) who are raising a concern against the published list of candidates; this burden of cross will come to you, ONLY IF the almighty decides to do so and I believe there is no need to blame anyone for it.

          We had many live examples in the past including the one during the selection of Catholicos Designate. If it is his will, it has to come to you.

          Abraham Joseph
          ============
          Moderators' Note: Please sign your name with location
        • DR M.S.ALEXANDER, LEEDS, ENGLAND
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 6, 2008
            There are about 23 candidates not selected by the Screening Committee. They should understand that not selected does not mean rejected. Among you there are many who are suitable for the post of Metropolitans. But this time we need only 7 candidates. The names of some of you may come up again for future considerations. The world�is not likely to end this September. All of you are very important people just like those who happened to be selected. Some people are trying to make use of the names of some of you and are going to the court�giving the hope that the court may help you to be elected. That is wrong. No court can elect Metropolitans for our church. Only the Association of our church can do this. I have attended many Association meetings. I am very impressed by the loyalty and dedication of our people to the throne of St Thomas and the respect and reverence they give to the occupant of that throne H.H.The Catholicose. Even if the court may be sympathetic to the person going to the court, the ultimate court for us is the Association itself. Victory in the court of law will not guarantee victory in the Association. I am sure that our people attending the Association Meeting will bow to the authority of the Catholicose than to the authority of the court. They are right because this is a church affair. When you were ordained you took an oath of loyalty to the Catholicose and to the Metropolitan who ordained you. Obedience is better than sacrifice. It time for you to come forward one by one and declare your acceptance of the decision of the Screening Committee and your loyalty to our Holy Father, H.H.The Catholicose. This will put an end to the current problems inour church. Your actions in this way will be noticed and it will be rewarded. Let us all work together as a team to do the will of our Lord in this world through the faith of our church.

            DR M.S.ALEXANDER, LEEDS, ENGLAND.
          • Thomas, SJ CA
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 7, 2008
              Dear all, Perhaps St. Augustine of Hippo would be rejected if there
              was a screening committee then! So also many prominent bishops who
              contributed to the Church.

              How many of the Apostles were fishermen? There was a Church father
              "Athanasius Gamalo" who was a camel driver. From Christian perspective
              present is important than the past. We do not look back, but live in
              the present with hope towards the future. It is "hablan lahmo
              dsun-qonan yawmono ..." (give us this day our bread ...) Regarding the
              past we seek forgiveness (forgive our sins...).

              Can we forgive?

              In the Orthodox Church, people know the priests. They are part of the
              community. People know how they live. In such a framework what is the
              need for few people to meet secretly and judge individuals? Why adopt
              medieval European ways? The basis of electing someone to a ministry
              should be genuine interest in serving the Church. Such people should
              be called to the ministry. Spiritual fathers, if there are any, know
              the candidates.

              Why can't people propose their candidates? If the goal is to control
              campaigning, there can be other ways of doing it. Same method
              currently planned for 'post-screening campaign monitoring' can be
              applied.

              Of course in the present circumstances there should be some extra
              qualities like good relationship with people (instead of showing anger
              and power resulting in people fearing to talk to them), representing
              our church internationally, explaining our position in ecumenical
              forums, ecumenical relationships etc. Our Church had many great
              opportunities to end divisions and improve ecumenical relationships.
              But we failed to take advantage of many of them. We have a slow
              process. There should be a culture of bishops working in unity for the
              common good of the Church. Bishops should not be ordained just to fill
              vacancies, but to fulfill the purpose of the Synod.

              Thomas, SJ CA