A Christmas to cherish for long!

  • Mathew , Queens, New York
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2002
      Dear all,
      This Christmas we accompanied the youth of St.Mary's Church, Jackson
      Heights to visit a nursing home(i.e. a home for the old aged).
      We did not do anything great.We must have spent utmost an hour
      there. But it leaves a deep impression making it a Christmas to
      remember for all of us for a long long time to come.

      The people were very very old.Most of them cannot walk on their
      own.The culture of this country in many ways contributes to make
      these people all alone in the evening of their lives.

      We sang a few carols for them.Our eyes grew moist on seeing the old
      ones encouraging us and singing (and directing, with their hands!!)
      as we sung. A small skit depicting the nativity was presented by the
      children. Gifts were distributed by the Santa Claus as they cheered.
      We mingled with them for a few precious moments wishing them a Merry
      Christmas.

      During the time I was reminded of another Christmas a few years back
      when I was fortunate to spend time with a few children in a
      children's home in Juhu in Bombay. We had gone with the MGOCSM then to
      spend Christmas in a home for street children.

      Looking back, these are Christmas times I will cherish for ever, and
      I was speaking from the depth of my heart when I whispered a thanks
      to an attendant at the nursing home for allowing us to come, telling
      him that this will go down as one of our best Christmas ever.

      Regards,
      Mathew
      Queens,NY.
    • Fr. Joy Pyngolil
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
        Thanks, Thomas.� What I meant by loosing ID is what you wrote in your second para.

        By the what is happening is, we loose the presence Christ when we return from church/summits like Joseph and May lost Jesus on their way back to Nazareth.� We become so involved with the crowd, or take things for granted and continue in our journey.� Our litigation itself is a minor example of such a journey.

        Any "isms" with a qualifying term is man-made.� To realize real presence of God one has to grow beyond the narrow definitions of God transmitted to us by religious dogma.� "Religious" dogma is only a 'means to an end.'� The End is the "realization of the Ultimate."� For example, someone named a road leading to the ocean as "Ocean blvd." Ocean Blvd. leads you the Ocean. Ocean blvd. is not the Ocean.�

        Thanks.

        JP