Spiritual Words

  • Mark Sadek, indianorthodox@yahoogroups.co
    Message 1 of 652 , Feb 27, 2008
      "Lakes of fire (cf. Rev. 19:20) signify self-indulgent souls. In these lakes the stench of passions, like fetid bogs, nourishes the sleepless worm of dissipation - the unbridled lusts of the flesh - as it also nourishes the snakes, frogs and leeches of evil desire, the loathsome and poisonous thoughts and demons. A soul in such a state already in this life receives a foretaste of the chastisement to come."

      St. Gregory of Sinai.
      "He who loves silver will not be satisfied with silver; Nor he who loves abundance, with increase. This also is vanity." Ecclesiastes 5:10
      Message 652 of 652 , Apr 29

        CHRIST IS RISEN! TRULY HE IS RISEN!

        "Discernment in beginners is true knowledge of themselves; in intermediate souls, it is a spiritual sense that faultlessly distinguishes what is truly good from what is of nature and opposed to it; and in the perfect, it is the knowledge which they have within by Divine illumination, and which can enlighten with its lamp what is dark in others. Or perhaps, generally speaking, discernment is, and is recognized as, the certain understanding of the Divine will on all occasions, in every place and in all matters; and it is only found in those who are pure in heart, and in body and in mouth."

         - St. John Climacus.

        "Our soul waits for the Lord; He is our help and our shield. For our heart shall rejoice in Him, Because we have trusted in His holy name."  Psalm 33:20-21