Re: Women sitting in General Body Meeting

  • Cicily Sunny , Staten Island, New York
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2007
      Dear Readers:
      I see that lots of people are impressed by the decision of the Holy Synod allowing women to watch the General Body Meeting, but I am not at all excited by it. In our church, women always watched the meeting sitting on their side. I watched the General Body meeting of our church for the first eight years of my life in America. Being able to help others to take good decisions, it was hurting to watch men fighting, calling names, and yelling at each other for silly reasons. I laughed at them in my mind and even hated some of them for their mentality. I sympathized with them for their foolishness, ignorance and narrowmindedness. They still think that they are better than women and are doing a good job. I always wished if I could help to solve problems smoothly and to take good decisions. I watched silently the church breaking apart and suffered pain in many ways. The only thing women could do was to pray for the church silently. At that time I took a big decision that I would never watch the general body meeting. For the past thirteen years, I haven't watched a single general body meeting, and hence my peace stays intact. I don't even stay in the vicinity of the church. I go home right after the Qurbana. Thanks to the prayer and suffering of many people, our church has regained peace and unity.

      What is the use of sitting in a general body meeting if you have to sit tongue-tied and suffer internally the nonsense brought forth by men? What I have seen is that most of the good-hearted men stay quiet and the ignorant ment talk a lot. I advise women not to sit in the general body meeting so that you don't have to brood any hatred towards men and can stay peaceful. As my young and energetic times have almost finished, now I feel comfortable that I don't have to take the responsibilities of attending general body meetings and carrying out administrational duties.

      My honest opinion is that the church is at a loss in keeping away educated and capable women from administrational duties. Thanks for reading.

      Cicily Sunny
      St. George Orthodox church
      Staten Island, New York
    • Joe Varghese, Oak Park, IL
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2007
        Is this ignorance limited to just our Indian Orthodox Church, or do
        the sister Orthodox (Oriental and Eastern) Churches also impose these
        limitations?

        "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ" ... clearly this
        is not kept in mind in many Committee and General Body meetings.

        Many who have left the Indian Orthodox Church incorrectly equate the
        behavior of a few at these meetings with our Faith, which makes this
        even more troublesome.

        The fact that we still are having this debate about the role of woman
        in the year 2007 is very sad reflection of our community. Our prayers
        need to be with the leadership of our Church to have the courage to
        implement the equality (Man, Woman and Chidl) that Christ without
        question wanted in His Church.

        Joe Varghese
        St Gregorios/Oak Park, IL