Shephard and Sheep.....

  • sumamthomas@
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2001
      Hello ,

      How important is for the Shephard to go in search of his sheep?

      We can see quite a few Indian Churches in the US especially in NY. Do
      we know why ??

      Our parents who came abt 3 decades ago ,born and brought up in a
      strict and God fearing envirnoment felt the need to go to OUR Church
      and not ANY church. They wanted to bring up their childern also in
      the same envirnoment.

      Will this be the same few years down the line ??

      Youngsters like us neither feel the need to go to church or interact
      in the Church activities. Most of them are quite bored of the long
      service, bored of service in malayalam etc etc.

      And if at all they feel the need to be part of a Church, they will go
      to a nearby (Protestian or Catholic) church. As a result of which
      slowly Orthodox church will be losing many people. The matter really
      isn't that we r losing members but that we fail to appreciate the
      treasure of the offering our Church has to offer.

      There are many(more than enough) Indian Orthodox churches in NY,
      Chicago, California but what abt places like Boston , Detroit and
      other less heard of places?

      My point here is that it is each ones duty to reach out and find
      which of our fellow brothers and sister are not able to go to church
      and what could be the reason. There are many ppl who have come here
      on H1B visas and are settled in these places.

      I know that a few Achens are taking efforts to go in search of their
      sheep, and I am thankful to them for their efforts.

      Regards,
      Sumam.
      (Queens,NY)
    • Steven Kurian
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2001
        I have been looking for an "official" church web page for some time now. I have
        found several, among these are:
        www.indianorthodoxchurch.com
        www.malankaraorthodoxsyrianchurch.com
        both of these links go to the same site. The site seems to be the most official
        page I have found, but it seems to be a year out of date.

        Also:
        www.malankara.com
        This is the homepage of the Pathragese faction's American Diocese,
        the "Malankara Diocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church in North America"
        and www.malankara.org
        This site is the homepage of His Grace Makarios Thirumeni's American and
        European Diocese.

        Steven Kurian
        St. Gregorios Malankara Orthodox Church, Tampa, Florida