"Winning cases are just not enough" - Road for future?

  • Chikku Abraham, Mumbai
    Message 1 of 65 , Sep 30, 2007
      Dear ICON Members,

      I had put across a thought regarding the above subject
      which went beyond my good intentions. Anyway i request
      you to contribute so that we can place before our
      Administration a vision for Thrikkunathu seminary for
      the future. We need many many Kalam's in our church.
      Atleast we are not late. A few dreams from my part.

      1. Ankamaly diocese has only very few churches. May be
      20 and if we put together East and West may be a few
      more. Out of which only less than 10 are finacially in
      a position to contribute to the diocese. I strongly
      believe it is the number of churches being less
      compared to many diocese of south, a bishop is not
      interested for full time appointment.

      Therefore we need to attach an additional
      responsibility to Thrikkunathu and it can be the
      office of Catholicate designate.

      I have heard from my grandparents that the orthodox
      and Jacobite fight is basically a fight between
      north/central and south kerala members advocating
      their dominance. The strong hold of people in both
      factions justifies it in their decisions and majority.

      2. There are finishing schools in many places. Why
      cant we have thrikkunathu seminary as a 6 months
      residential finishing school for the final year or pre
      final year seminary students? The curriculum can
      highlight computer training, presentation skills,
      interpersonal behavioural sciences, seminary student
      enrichment programs, along with some theology
      subjects. We can draw a large pool of resource persons
      from our church. Thrikkunathu can have a hostel to
      accomodate 30 or 50 students. It has around 6 acres of
      land...

      3. The students of the seminary can themselves host
      and maintain their websites(it is not a great subject
      any one can do)and that of the church. It is lack of
      training that they dont have exposure in many
      areas.Many near by churches also benifit from the
      finishing schools like they can come here for studying
      Aradhana songs etc etc...

      4. There is an MGOCSM owned student center in 45 cents
      built by Theophilus thirumeni near UC College 2 Km
      from Highway. Since now no longer we have resident
      students in UC it is inactive.

      MGOCSM can convert it into a great retreat center with
      the resources of Thrikkunathu seminary and if
      finishing school is a reality we will have resource
      from our educated members.This center can also conduct
      premarital courses.

      5. If it is not a catholicate designate office, one
      resident full time bishop appointed can look after the
      few churches of diocese and also be incharge of the
      finishing school and retreat center which is a need.

      6.I still has in my mind the atmosphere of attending a
      sandhya prarthana of pazhaya seminary when all the
      seminary students together reciting the prayers...a
      heavenly feeling it was. If the concept of finishing
      school works then thrikkunathu seminary also can have
      such an heavenly atmosphere.

      7. As you all know the airport is near by. Just 25 km
      from seminary. All our bishops, priests or even we
      members can stay at seminary instead of hotel or long
      travel if we can have rooms.....

      8. We have 2 schools under the diocese which can be
      lifted or upgraded into a school of repute.

      9. Only when we show genuine interest in seminary and
      its affairs the other faction stop from encroaching
      and people also feel attached.Now they know that we
      are just a handful of people...

      10. Last but not the least, when the seminary grow
      from its yester years of complacency, more and more
      youth and people will like to contribute coz the youth
      of today are demanding and we need to accept change
      that is happening around the world and move
      accordingly...

      I invite all orthodox well wishers to add more ideas
      so that we can pass it to the administrators through
      proper channel.....We have to make our presence felt
      at Ankamaly...or else once this generation passes by,
      next generation i can say dont have much involvement
      in church activities in Metro cities......the proof is
      MGOCSM, Youth movement of past years and present.

      Thats why i say "Winning cases are not just enough"
      atleast in central Kerala if we dont grow spiritually
      from the place where we won....else lets dont file
      cases and waste money and stop the fights.

      Chikku Abraham,
      IIT Bombay
    • Chikku Abraham, Mumbai