FW: WCC NEWS: Tribute to Patriarch Teoctist, head of the Romanian Orthodox Church

  • Thomas P, SJ CA
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2007
      From "WCC Media" <Media@...>
      Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:11:56 +0200

      World Council of Churches - News Release

      Contact: +41 22 791 6153 +41 79 507 6363 media@... For
      immediate release - 31/07/2007 05:41:58 PM

      PATRIARCH TEOCTIST: PROMINENT CHRISTIAN LEADER, SINCERE AND GOOD
      PROMOTER OF ECUMENICAL RELATIONS

      Expressing "great sorrow" at the news of the death of His Beatitude
      Patriarch Teoctist, head of the Romanian Orthodox Church, who passed
      away on Monday, 30 July 2007, at the age of 92, the World Council of
      Churches? (WCC) general secretary Rev. Dr Samuel Kobia paid the
      following tribute to "a beloved father of his people, a prominent
      Christian leader of our times and a committed friend of the ecumenical
      movement".

      Tribute to His Beatitude Teoctist:

      It is with great sorrow that we have learned of the unexpected death
      of His Beatitude Teoctist, the Patriarch of the Romanian Orthodox
      Church, a beloved father of his people, a prominent Christian leader
      of our times and a committed friend of the ecumenical movement. Our
      sincere condolences go to the Romanian Orthodox Church and to the
      people of Romania. In thanking God for his life and ministry, we
      celebrate Patriarch Teoctist?s 70 years of service to the Church,
      which he rendered with commitment and great responsibility. At the age
      of 13, he entered the monastic life; under three different political
      regimes he has served his church and people: for more than 70 years as
      hierarch, and for more than 20 years as Patriarch. During the
      oppressive communist regime in particular, confronted with severe
      challenges and hardships, His Beatitude proved to be a providential
      leader as he knew how to shepherd his church and his flock with wisdom
      so as to keep it alive and vigorous. After the fall of communism, His
      Beatitude succeeded in maintaining the unity of his people and of the
      church, and in reorienting it towards new horizons.

      His departure is a great loss for the ecumenical family, as well. His
      Beatitude was a sincere and effective promoter of ecumenical
      relations. The search for the unity of the church came to be the credo
      of his life and action. Apart from his participation in and support of
      the work of WCC, CEC and other international ecumenical organizations,
      His Beatitude has intensified the ecumenical encounters at the local
      and national levels. Theological students and professors continued to
      be sent abroad to study in Catholic and Protestant universities. The
      mutual visits with Orthodox and other Christian leaders continued
      during this period. As a result, the Romanian Orthodox Church, under
      Patriarch Teoctist?s leadership, has continued to offer its
      undiminished support of and contribution to the modern ecumenical
      movement until the present day.

      His memory is deeply engraved in the history of the ecumenical
      movement. And his committed ministry will continue to inspire and
      guide others who are looking for meaningful service to the church and
      to people in difficult contexts and situations.

      As we pay tribute to the exemplary ministry of this faithful servant
      of the Lord, we pray to God that His Beatitude Teoctist may be granted
      eternal rest in God's kingdom in the company of all His saints and
      witnesses and that the Romanian Orthodox Church and people may be
      empowered with spiritual strength and courage to continue his work and
      service.

      Rev. Dr Samuel Kobia General Secretary

      Romanian Orthodox Church http://www.patriarhia.ro/

      Tribute by the Conference of European Churches' general secretary
      http://www.cec-kek.org/content/pr-cq0733e.shtml

      Additional information: Juan Michel, +41 22 791 6153 +41 79 507 6363
      media@...

      Sign up for WCC press releases at:

      http://onlineservices.wcc-coe.org/pressnames.nsf

      The World Council of Churches promotes Christian unity in faith,
      witness and service for a just and peaceful world. An ecumenical
      fellowship of churches founded in 1948, today the WCC brings together
      347 Protestant, Orthodox, Anglican and other churches representing
      more than 560 million Christians in over 110 countries, and works
      cooperatively with the Roman Catholic Church. The WCC general
      secretary is Rev. Dr Samuel Kobia, from the Methodist Church in Kenya.
      Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.

      ----
      Thomas
      SJ CA