Spiritual Words.

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 26, 2007
      "When the soul is disturbed by anger, confused by drunkenness, or sunk in deep depression, the intellect cannot hold fast to the remembrance of God no matter how hard we try to force it. Completely darkened by the violence of the passions, it loses totally the form of perception which is proper to it. Thus our desire that our intellect should keep the remembrance of God cannot make any impression, because the recollective faculty of our mind has been hardened by the rawness of the passions. But, on the other hand, when the soul has attained freedom from these passions, then, even though the intellect is momentarily deprived by forgetfulness of the object of its longing, it at once resumes its proper activity. The soul now has grace itself to share its meditation and to repeat with it the words 'Lord Jesus', just as a mother teaches her child to repeat with her the word 'father', instead of prattling in the usual way, until she has formed in him the habit of calling for his father eve

      n in his sleep. This is why the Apostle says: 'Likewise the Spirit also helps our infirmities; for we do not know what to pray for as we should, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with cries that cannot be uttered' (Rom. 8:26). Since we are but children as regards perfection in the virtue of prayer, we have need of the Spirit's aid so that all out thoughts may be concentrated and gladdened by His inexpressible sweetness, and so that with all our being we may aspire to the remembrance and love of our God and Father. For, as St. Paul says, it is in the Spirit that we pray when we are taught by Him to cry without ceasing to God the Father, 'Abba, Father' (Rom. 8:15)."

      St. Diadochos of Photiki.

      "He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully." 2 Corinthians 9:6

    • george joseph
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 4, 2007
        Hi All,

        Thanks a lot Mr.Charly to reminding all of us not to
        compare Church activity and commercial business.

        Hope ALL will understand and stop criticizing my sabha
        and church

        Rgds

        Joe

        AUH
        ---------------
        Moderators' Note: Please sign your full name with location, always.
      • Susan Eapen, Bangalore
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 5, 2007
          Dear Joe,

          If you had read my posting with an unbiased mind, then you would not
          have found any criticism there of your sabha & mine. There has been
          some discussion earlier about farmers in distress and farmers'
          suicides. There has also been discussions about Idukki. Now, with so
          much in favour of Idukki in terms of the Govt Policies, there is some
          hope of helping through bank finance if we have an NGO or even guide
          the people to form self-help groups, neihbourhood- groups etc.for
          themselves.

          If the discussions on these topics were merely for the sake of
          high-sounding discussions, then my posting was irrelevant-but not
          critical.

          Mr.Charly Padanilam resented my mentioning Matha Amritanandamayi. As
          she is doing a lot of good for people and as she has done much more
          than I have ever done, and I have no personal encounter with her, I
          do not consider myself competent to judge her or form an opinion of
          her in any manner. Her group's action -plan in the affair of the
          distressed farmers is not a charity that relieves immediate hunger and
          eases the conscience of the giver, it is empowerment that requires
          long term commitment. (This is a statement of fact-not a criticism.)

          One thing I know, their hospital maintains very high standards and
          when one of my colleagues required an open heart surgery, they first
          asked him about his ability to pay and extended concessions to cover
          the gap.

          I also have friends who had husbands & sons in Vellore CMC and lost
          them. They too speak very highly of the services there.

          The good deeds of both groups have made the beneficiaries grateful to
          God. Now Let me come back to the topic.

          As I understand it, Union Bank would have formed a District Credit
          Plan for Idukki and would have presented it in the District
          Consultative Committee meeting by June 07. UBI is the Lead Bank. From
          them, we will be able to know how a certain segment may be assisted.
          Being a banker, I was just mentioning the options available.

          Susan Eapen
          Bangalore