All the Praises are to you Lord God

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2001
      Forwarding a mail I received yesterday. I thought I must share it with
      my fellow Christians.
      -------------------------
      Dear Thomas.

      Leave u r worries to our lord he will take control of every thing.
      As a youth of Philadelphia Ascension marthoma church we are praying
      for u r brother. He will be alright, will come back from India in a
      good spirit prasing our lord.

      Let me tell u a real incident which had happened to our Philadelphia
      Bethel Marthoma church Achen P. K .Zakaria. Few months back he had
      meet with a car accident he is paralysed from Wasit he cannot stand
      up or do things for him self. The doctors over here told 90% he
      cannot do things for him self. He was discharged from the hospital
      recently without much developments .still he is paralysed from waist
      to toe.

      He gave the leadership in giving heart touching message to a big
      crowd , the crowd was happy to see him talking in a new spirit, and
      enthusiam praising our lord in his difficulties.

      For the first time in my life i saw all Pentacostal pastors from NE
      part Philadelphia all on the stage with Priests of
      Jacobite ,Orthodox,CSI ,Evangelical all together on the stage there
      were 14 people.

      Yesterday was the last day it lasted up to night 10 pm. The venue
      Ascension Marthoma Church was jam packed the with more than 900
      people. And the crowd was managed with the help of CCTV and extra
      audio systems in different rooms.

      For the first time in Ascension Marthoma church history it saw this
      much people. A over crowded church.

      Praise the lord. The lord is alive, He can do miracel for u brother
      to.

      May god bless u.
      love
      P. Sanjay Samuel.
      (Ascension Marthoma Church Piladelphia)
    • Jacob P. Varghese
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2001
        Dear all members in Christ, our True Light,

        This is an attempt to answer the query on the significance of lighting
        candles in our Church. I think it is appropriate to answer first, THE
        SIGNIFICANCE OF LIGHT IN WORSHIP and then move to THE SIGNIFICANCE OF
        LIGHTING CANDLES, for various occasions. This is a compilation of
        information, assimilated from various sources, during my Sunday School
        teaching career.

        LIGHTING IS THE FIRST ACT OF WORSHIP IN THE EASTERN CHURCHES. In Orthodox
        Church, we use lights during many occasions. In the Church an oil lamp is
        kept burning always. We light candles on the Holy Altar during worship and
        during prayers of intercession. Candles are also lit, during the reading of
        the Epistles and Gospel, Elevation of Holy Mysteries and Procession of the
        Second Coming. Candles are lit, during corporate or private prayers, before
        the body of departed ones, graves of departed ones or tombs of saints,
        before relics of saints' during processions (Rasa), etc.

        Light is symbol, universally used in all Churches and symbolizes the
        presence of God. "God is light (1 Jn. 1: 5) and in Him is no darkness at
        all".

        Light is an expression of Christian joy, which Christ has redeemed for us
        from darkness and brought us to eternal light. Light also signifies that God
        accepts worship, with reverence and awe, as God is a consuming fire.
        (Heb.12: 29).

        Light is knowledge and life. It dispels darkness, of ignorance and death.
        St. Paul says, "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness,
        has shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of
        God in the face of Jesus Christ". (2 Cor. 4: 6)

        A lighted candle reminds us of the words of Jesus, "I am the light of the
        world, he who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but will have the light
        of life" (Jn. 1: 9, 8:12). The Christian tradition has always held that the
        sun is the source of biological life, in this universe. "Christ, the Son of
        Righteousness" is the true source of eternal light and in Him there is no
        darkness. Light is a symbol of angels and saints. (Matt. 5:14). Jesus, as
        light, is Life.

        WHY DO WE HAVE NILAVILKKU IN CHURCHES OR WHY LIGHT VIGIL LAMPS?
        In the center of Nave of the Church, is an oil lighted lamp (NILAVILKKU).
        Light here signifies the presence of God, Who is light, Himself. Normally,
        this lamp has twelve wicks symbolizing all the departed belonging to the
        twelve tribes. Some lamps have seven wicks, signifying the seven lamps seen
        blazing before the Throne of God (Rev. 4: 2-6). This lamp also symbolizes
        the golden lamps on the golden lamp stand of the Tabernacle (Lev. 24: 3-4)
        and shows that our church is in continuation with the Jerusalem temple.
        The oil poured in the lamp signifies the prayers offered by the living for
        the faithful departed. The light also symbolizes the illumination of the
        souls of the departed. Pious Orthodox faithful take oil frequently from the
        lamp and bless themselves, making the sign of the Cross on their foreheads.
        Because our faith is light. Christ said, "I am the light of the world" (John
        8: 12). The light of the vigil lamp reminds us of that light by which Christ
        illumines our souls.
        Electric lights are not appropriate for use as the light to burn in Church.
        The traditional oil lamps require an amount of attention which electricity
        does not, thereby directing our physical services and thoughts to God
        several times a day when we are required to trim the wick and refill the
        lamp with oil.

        It should be added that before the invention of matchsticks, there was need
        for the continuance of some source of fire from which a light could be
        readily obtained as a matter of great convenience. So a 'perpetual light' in
        the church was kept burning. Such a perpetual light seems to have been
        usually kept up, even now, probably underlay an old Christian practice.

        To be continued??????????????. (SIGNIFICANCE OF CANDLES IN WORSHIP)

        Jacob P. Varghese
        St. Gregorios Orthodox Church, Sharjah.
      • Fr. Mathew C. Chacko
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2001
          Cardinal Arinze Promotes "Education for Dialogue"

          VATICAN CITY, NOV. 5, 2001 <A HREF="http://www.zenit.org/">(Zenit.org)</A>.-
          Cardinal Francis Arinze sent this
          message on behalf of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue to
          the Hindu faithful of the world on the occasion of the upcoming feast of
          Diwali.

          * * *

          Hindus and Christians: educating their respective communities to dialogue

          Dear Hindu Friends,

          1. As you celebrate the Feast of Diwali I send greetings and good wishes in
          my own name and on behalf of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious
          Dialogue. May your celebration bring you much joy and happiness.

          2. Mutual respect and esteem for our respective religious traditions lead to
          a greater awareness of our responsibility to cooperate in promoting social
          peace and harmony. War and violence waged in the name of religion are
          contrary to the true spirit of religion and can endanger its very existence.
          Education for dialogue, greater communication and practical cooperation will
          contribute to overcoming the causes of violence and to promoting a spirit of
          mutual understanding and respect. I propose that we intensify our efforts to
          foster relations and promote dialogue between our communities.

          3. This proposal echoes that of the representatives of various religious
          traditions at the Interreligious Assembly held in the Vatican in 1999:
          "Education is a key for promoting interreligious harmony, religious freedom
          and respect for people of different religious traditions ... Above all,
          education is committed to seeking truth, justice, peace and reconciliation.
          very practical programme, which already exists in various places, is the
          joint examination of textbooks, not only of religion, but also -- and
          perhaps
          especially -- of history. The lamentable ignorance and misinformation with
          which we sometimes bring up our children concerning other people's religious
          traditions need to be rectified. We must strive to present all religious
          traditions in an objective manner so that individuals belonging to these
          traditions can recognize themselves in that representation" (Final Report,
          28
          October 1999).

          4. Education and training in promoting better relations between the
          followers
          of religions is an urgent priority. Growing awareness of religious pluralism
          should not lead to indifference. Dialogue, while respecting the religious
          traditions of others, requires us to be firmly rooted in our own religious
          tradition and to acknowledge the objective differences between religions.
          Each religious community should devise its own approach to educating its
          followers in a spirit of dialogue, and indicate how they believe an attitude
          of dialogue could best be fostered in our respective communities.
          Furthermore, dialogue should be complemented by joint efforts to uphold the
          family, form the consciences of the young, defend fundamental moral and
          spiritual truths and values, increase the awareness of the need for a deeper
          spiritual life and promote exchange of accurate information about each
          other's beliefs and practices.

          5. Together, let us look forward to the future with hope that it will bring
          lasting peace for all. Happy Diwali.

          Cardinal Francis Arinze,
          President

          [text distributed by Vatican Press Office]
          ZE01110520
        • george_tereb@..
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2001
            Dear Sajan,
            I understand the importance & your need of daily devotional readings
            to inspire one at the begining of the day.I had been getting daily
            readings to my email from another yahoo group.
            The site is
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodoxdynamis
            Hope it might be of some help.

            Regards

            George Varghese
          • Dr. M.S. Alexander
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2001
              Dear Friends,

              Please note that IndianOrthodox Church has transformed into a Universal
              Orthodox Church and today it is a multinational, multilingual, and
              multicultural church. ST THOMAS came not just to preach to the people of
              Malankara but to preach the Gospel to the four corners of the world.

              DR. M.S.ALEXANDER, LEEDS, ENGLAND