Create a Card to Honor Your Mother this Mother's Day (May 13th)

  • Raji Johnson, Austin, TX
    Message 1 of 195 , Apr 25, 2007
      Mother's Day Gifts That Honor, Help Mothers

      CARE has two great ideas for the millions of people who want to do
      something meaningful and memorable for their mothers this May. First,
      make the card one that counts and stands out from the norm. Second,
      give the gift of power, through the book Women Empowered, by renowned
      photographer Phil Borges.
      The cards: CARE has teamed with Hewlett-Packard (HP) to create five
      beautifully designed Mother's Day cards. Each card captures the
      essence of CARE's I Am Powerful campaign, which seeks to bring
      together American women with women in the developing world to fight
      global poverty. The cards feature stunning images of women who have
      benefited from CARE projects in Angola, Cambodia, Egypt, India and
      Peru with their personal stories inside. Whether you send the cards
      individually or as a five-card collection, this gift is sure to be
      one of the most creative choices for honoring mothers on this very
      special day. Click below for details and to purchase your cards.
      HP and CARE share a common belief in the power of photography to draw
      attention to social issues and effect change, and are working
      together on a global program to promote CARE's I Am Powerful
      campaign. Learn more about the program here.
      The book: Noted photographer Phil Borges traveled to CARE projects
      around the world to capture photographs that tell the story of the
      power of women. Women Empowered brings to life the images and stories
      of ordinary women making extraordinary differences. A portion of the
      proceeds will support CARE's work in poor countries around the world.
      View images of the book on Phil's site here.
      The book includes contributions from Madeleine Albright, Nobel Peace
      Prize winner Wangari Maathai, Christy Turlington Burns and CARE
      President Helene Gayle, and author Isabel Allende calls Women
      Empowered "a deeply inspirational work."
      Phil Borges was an orthodontist for 18 years before taking a leap of
      faith that's led him through jungles, deserts, valleys and mountain
      ranges across some 50 countries. Now living in Seattle, he returns
      from his journeys with precious cargo — photographs and notepads full
      of stories about the people he's met along the way. His award-winning
      books and photo exhibits include Enduring Spirit and Tibetan
      Portrait: The Power of Compassion, which catapulted Borges'
      photography into the national consciousness.
      Says Borges: "Women Empowered focuses on what I've seen and learned
      when I'm out in the field. Women have no voice, yet they do most of
      the work. But I've also seen firsthand how, when women become
      empowered and educated, it's the quickest way to put a cap on
      population pressures, stop the spread of HIV and reduce poverty."
      When asked about the women in his pictures, he says, "I go into a
      community where CARE works and ask folks to point me to the most
      outspoken woman who has done the most to change her community. When I
      find her, I'm not asking her to look powerful. She does that herself."

      https://my.care.org/05/170720530000/n21e377p1l4IN?

      visit www.CARE.org to learn more about CARE and its works.

      Regards
      Raji Johnson, Austin, TX
      Message 195 of 195 , May 13 7:54 PM
        CHRIST IS RISEN! TRULY HE IS RISEN!

        "With regard to self-control in eating, we must never feel loathing for any kind of food, for to do so is abominable and utterly demonic. It is emphatically not because any kind of food is bad in itself that we refrain from it. But by not eating too much or too richly we can to some extent keep in check the excitable parts of our body. In addition we can give to the poor what remains over, for this is the mark of sincere love."

        St. Diadochos of Photiki.

        "Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble." 1 Corinthians 8:13