Re: [IndianOrthodox] Digest Number 46

  • jp
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2001
      several things.

      Congratulations Fr. Daneil Thomas.
      Welcome Dr. Panavelil. But feed them well.
      Rev. Fr. CC mathew, you are right, we need English tranlastions. The one
      availbale are not authorized versions- authorized versions are imperative
      for uniformity. No independent translation is ideal. As the church we need
      to look for uniformity.

      JP.
    • John Thomas Alummoottil
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2001
        Re. translations..

        We have lot of independent translations. Our Malayalam prayers are the translations from Syriac(West). There are English translations(from original syriac) made by the antiochian church - sister church of the Malankara Orthodox Church ; by the Antiochian(Byzantine)
        Church etc. Acharya Francis of Kurisumala Ashram translated almost all the Syriac Liturgical Books in several volumes named 'Harp of the Holy Spirit' - which is a good translation and it was used by our late Mettropolitans like Mar Gregorios and Mar Theophilus. An introduction to the 1st volume is written by Late Catholicos H H Baselius Mar Thoma Mathews I. I still remember the subcommittee of the MOC publications headed by H G Mathews Mar Barnabas in the beginning of 90s and later by H G Dr.Mathews Mar Savarius working for English Translations of our liturgies. MOC is doing a wonderful work on Malayalam Publications. To get authenticated liturgical works, publications like Pampakuda, MGOCSM etc. were exchanging there work to the MOC Publications. Now the Church must realize the need of English Translations and the MOC should focus more on this side. They may take and coordinate the individual translations and the translations which are available at present. Fr.John Thomas