Re: Digest # 274/Our Church's Response to WTC Tragedy

  • thomas_pa1@..
    Message 1 of 2431 , Oct 1, 2001
      During the Ethiopian famine, His Holiness did issue an official
      Kalpana asking people to contribute materials to send to Ethiopia.
      This was read in Malankara parishes under the Synod.

      Regards,
      Thomas

      (In IndianOrthodox@y..., "W. John Daniel" (jdan@) wrote:
      > The recent discussion in this forum, on the topic of 'Our church's
      response to this tragedy' has been very timely and worthwhile. Yes, for many
      years I had complained that our church have not shown enough concern about
      the tragedies and sufferings that have been happening around the world.
      The Ethiopian famine, massacres in Rwanda etc have been passed over
      without any mention, in our church prayers on Sundays. When I tried to point
      out, I was told that the Intercession Prayers include prayers for the victims
      of such tragedies. True, but these prayers are only for the Christian
      communities in the world. I am pleased to say that at the St. Mary's Orthodox (Indian) Syrian church in Melbourne, Australia, we held special prayers for the victims of the recent tragedy in USA, at the end of the Holy Qurbana. Our priest was very receptive to the suggestion for such prayers.

      Willy John Daniel)
      Message 2431 of 2431 , Jan 14 5:01 PM

        "If you want to serve God, prepare your heart not for food, not for drink, not for rest, not for ease, but for suffering, so that you may endure all temptations, trouble and sorrow. Prepare for severities, fasts, spiritual struggles and many afflictions, for "by many afflictions is it appointed to us to enter the Kingdom of Heaven." (Acts 14,22)"

        St. Sergius of Radonezh, Life, 10.

        "With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!"  Psalm 119:10