Re: Digest # 274/Our Church's Response to WTC Tragedy

  • thomas_pa1@..
    Message 1 of 2418 , Oct 1 7:45 AM
      During the Ethiopian famine, His Holiness did issue an official
      Kalpana asking people to contribute materials to send to Ethiopia.
      This was read in Malankara parishes under the Synod.

      Regards,
      Thomas

      (In IndianOrthodox@y..., "W. John Daniel" (jdan@) wrote:
      > The recent discussion in this forum, on the topic of 'Our church's
      response to this tragedy' has been very timely and worthwhile. Yes, for many
      years I had complained that our church have not shown enough concern about
      the tragedies and sufferings that have been happening around the world.
      The Ethiopian famine, massacres in Rwanda etc have been passed over
      without any mention, in our church prayers on Sundays. When I tried to point
      out, I was told that the Intercession Prayers include prayers for the victims
      of such tragedies. True, but these prayers are only for the Christian
      communities in the world. I am pleased to say that at the St. Mary's Orthodox (Indian) Syrian church in Melbourne, Australia, we held special prayers for the victims of the recent tragedy in USA, at the end of the Holy Qurbana. Our priest was very receptive to the suggestion for such prayers.

      Willy John Daniel)
      Message 2418 of 2418 , Sep 24

        "Have you sinned? Come to Church. Tell God, ‘I have sinned.’ I do not demand anything else of you than this. Holy Scripture states, ‘Be the first one to tell of your transgressions, so you may be justified.’ Admit the sin to annul it. This requires neither labor nor a circuit of words, nor monetary expenditure, nor anything else whatsoever such as these. Say one word, think carefully about the sin and say, ‘I have sinned.’"

        St. John Chrysostom.

        "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  1 John 1:9