What is the policy of our church?

  • Luke S. Paul, Washington, DC
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2007
      What is the policy of our church?

      2006 Christmas was over! We need to thank God for all the blessings
      showered upon us. I'm writing this because this Christmas inspired
      me to think about some of the phenomenon in Christmas holidays.
      After the Christmas service, the priest announced that the Christmas
      carol and talent shows were very successful. We give Christmas
      messages such as love, joy, and peace to the houses visited. Since
      I was participating in the church carols, I experienced such a
      shameful practice that continues every year. When we go to church
      members house, members welcome us to their houses and the last house
      that we visit, they will provide dinner as well as alcohol
      beverages. Some of them give alcohols secretly, but some of shows
      off how liquor bottles that they own as a family. Can any of our
      church authorities give an explanation of this phenomenon and if
      none can, then can you please stop this non-spiritual tradition?
      Another frustation that I'll like to verbalize is that on December
      24th, there is a talent show for the kids and the youth, it is full
      of cinematical dance, songs and skits but none reflects the birth of
      Christ like most American church would reflect. Christmas Eve is
      basically reserved for prayers and celebration of the birth of Jesus
      Christ and not for showing off theirs kids' talents and if parents
      want to show them off, then they can do so during the summer break
      (on a non-Christian holiday). We should be an example to others
      during this important festival of Orthodox church. People complain
      that the Orthodox services are long, and yet, they can sit thru a
      talent show for four-five hours long without any breaks. As the Holy
      Bible quotes, "we live in this world, but we are not of this world."
      The church needs to take a strong policy about this matter,
      otherwise, we will lose the future of our church or our diocese has
      to take necessary steps in order to stop this type of programs or
      situations during Christmas time.

      Luke s paul
      Washington DC