Re: On Cosmic Man

  • John Kunnathu, Houston TX
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2006
      Dr. Susan Eapen wrote: Paulose Mar Gregorios Thirumeni was
      interpreting the theology of St Gregory of Nyassa of
      Cappadocian/Greek Church- 4th Century) or St Gregory of Niazen
      (There are 2 and I am no theologian)or some such. They are all
      essentially part of our tradition. The book was too technical for
      lay persons like us and may not have been written for us.

      Here is what Gregorios thirumeni wrote about this book in his
      autobiography.

      "My doctoral dissertation submitted to Serampore University was
      published in 1980 by Sophia Publications, New Delhi, under the title
      Cosmic Man. It dealt with the relation between God, Humanity and
      World in the 4th century Eastern Christian Father St. Gregory of
      Nyssa. It was later republished under the same title in 1988 by
      Paragon, New York. It is a work that I had expected to be well
      received, but that has not been the case. I hope it will be studied
      more seriously by people in the future, for it deals with one of the
      fundamental problems of Christian Theism. People who believe in God
      often simply take it for granted that God, Humanity and World are
      three entities, while Gregory of Nyssa had already seen the
      philosophical problem of seeing the Creator and the Creation as two
      entities distinct from each other. The Hindu Advaita Vedantin's
      point was recognized as basically sound and legitimate, though
      formulated and explained differently, by this ancient Asian writer
      from Cappadocia in Asia Minor (present day Turkey). Gregory of Nyssa
      lived and wrote three or four centuries before Sankara in India."
      http://www.paulosmargregorios.info/Autobiography/Chapter%201.htm

      A summary of the main ideas of this book can be read in a paper by
      thirumeni. http://www.paulosmargregorios.info/English%20Articles/AN%20EASTERN%20ORTHODOX%20PERSPECTIVE%20OF.htm I would advice anyone
      to read this paper first before reading the book.

      I was fortunate to obtain a copy of this book in 1984, and I have
      read it several times during the past 22 years. I do not claim to
      have understood everything in it, but I have tried to understand it
      as much as I can. In 1990, I happened to write an introduction to
      this book along with another book called Cosmic Code.
      http://www.geocities.com/johnkunnathu/book-cosmic-code.htm

      John Kunnathu, Houston TX