Devotional Thoughts for Nov. 5, 2006/Kudos Eetho Sunday

  • Rev. Fr. K. K. John, Dover, NJ
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2006
      Kudos Eetho Sunday

      I wrote on the subject before in general and how it is
      significant to the spiritual life. That is still relevant. Here
      I shall comment briefly on the bible portions for the day. The
      gist of today's readings are, (1) sanctification of the
      faithful; body, mind and spirit and (2) foundation of faith.

      The Old Testament (1) Exodus 33:7-11. Moses pitched the
      Tabernacle away from the camp. When Moses went into the
      Tabernacle, cloud filled the tabernacle. God spoke to Moses as
      if to a friend. People stood at the door of their own tents. As
      they watched they worshipped God. Note: Moses pitched the
      Tabernacle away from camp to keep it undefiled. Christian
      churches are built in the same manner as tabernacle. Following
      this tradition; ancient churches in Kerala are situated on
      hilltops. This reminds the faithful to keep in and around the
      church undefiled at all times. Enter into it with clean body and
      heart. "Blot out O Lord God, by thy tender mercy, my great and
      manifold sins and the sins of all thy faithful people," our
      prayer of absolution, is fervent appeal for spiritual and body
      cleansing. Avoid jokes, idle talks, lazy and disrespectful
      demeanor in the church. The purpose of coming to the church is
      to hear from the Lord. This is possible only if we are
      physically clean and spiritually pure. Children need be taught
      how to present and conduct themselves in the church. Some
      parents are not keen enough in this matter. Keep in mind Eli,
      the priest, who did not nurture his sons in the Lord's
      discipline was punished, 1 Sam 3:13. Undivided attention is
      imperative. We chant, "Our thoughts, minds and hearts are with
      the Lord up above," "These mysteries are given to the holy and
      pure," are we honest?

      (2) Exodus 40:17-38. Moses raised the tabernacle
      (portable) and arranged everything in it exactly as God said.
      Journey was strictly according to God's directions; they set
      journey when the cloud moved above the tent. Note: The cloud was
      symbol of God's presence which every Israelite experienced and
      adjusted their lives accordingly. We are pilgrims and sojourners
      in this transitory life. Do our worship experiences influence
      our thoughts and actions? Do we reflect God's presence of in our
      private life? Do we lead our life as God dictates? If not, why?

      3, Isaiah 6:1-8. Isaiah saw God sitting on high and exalted
      throne in heaven. Six-winged Seraphim hovering around uttered
      incessantly and in loud voice, glorifying the Lord, Holy, Holy,
      Holy. The glory filled the whole earth and the temple. Isaiah
      cried aloud, "Lo! I am undone; I am sinful standing among the
      unclean; for I have seen the King, the Lord of universe."
      Seraphim took out a hot coal with tongs, flew down and touched
      his lips saying, "Your sin is taken away." Then he heard a voice
      from Lord, "Whom shall I send, who shall go for us?" Isaiah
      replied, "Here I am, send me." Note: The purpose of going to the
      church is to see the Lord. The Holy of Holies (Kdoos kudishin),
      where the Lord's throne is placed, is built high and above the
      sanctuary symbolizing the vision of Isaiah. The celebrant
      represents the Lord. Altar-assistants-the angels, lighted
      candles, incense, and chanting of glory are modeled after the
      vision of Isaiah. "Holy" is repeated three times is because God
      was not a monad but trinity. When the faithful glorify God,
      God's glory fills them, which is true worship experience. Sight
      of the Lord changes people. Some people complain that they are
      not getting heavenly experience in orthodox worship. The sole
      reason is their lazy and unclean approach. The awesome sight of
      heaven's glory, made Isaiah conscious of his sinful situation."
      'Holy Spirit convicts of sin,' said Jesus, Jh 16:8. One who goes
      against the dictates of conscience is working against Holy
      Spirit. This makes people insensitive to sin. Isaiah received
      commission only after he was cleansed from defilements. This
      live coal was type of Christ's body and blood which the faithful
      receive in the Holy Eucharist, (Esaaya Nibiku Doothan kodutha
      paavanamaaya kanalum ithu than). Thus the faithful come out of
      the worship service, sanctified and free of sins, enlightened by
      the Lord to lead a righteous life and do the will of God. Each
      faithful need be sanctified and renewed daily for the Church is
      not merely mud and mortar edifice but the living faithful
      members in it. Koodos Eetho is mark of a new beginning.

      Epistle 1 Pe 2:1-12. Peter invites the faithful to partake
      the Eucharist, laying aside all malice, envy and hypocrisies.
      Comparing the faithful with newborn child gives a strong message
      that complete sanctification is expected of us. The Lord is the
      chief cornerstone and when we near him, we become living stones,
      the spiritual temple of God, a holy nation and royal priesthood
      called out of darkness into his marvelous light to glorify God
      by honorable conducts, which is complete transformation into His
      likeness; that is the fullness of salvation.

      Epistle 1 C6:15-20. Apostle reminds that our bodies are the
      organs of Jesus Christ. We have been bought with a price that
      is, blood of Christ. We are the temple of the Holy Spirit. Keep
      it clean by fleeing away from all sinful acts especially, sexual
      immorality.

      Gospel portions bring to our attention about the
      foundation of the Church. For morning, we have John 21:15-22.
      Resurrected Jesus asked Peter three times if he loved Him more
      than others; disciples and world. Peter repented and confidently
      affirmed, "Yes Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus entrusted
      him with the responsibility of shepherding, men, women and kids
      in the Church. The Church as bride of Christ is founded on love
      of Christ producing the fruit of the Holy Spirit; goodness,
      righteousness and truth, Eph 5:9. Shepherds are not to rule with
      iron fist but to shepherd with sacrificial love. Where there is
      no love of Christ there is no love for fellow-beings. Loving
      'self' more than Christ is the root of all evils where, evil
      spirit, instead of Holy Spirit takes lead and guides the people
      causing heresy, discord, dissention, disunity, violence, riot,
      fight, and litigation among members. By all standards such a
      church belongs to Satan, not to Christ. Think for a moment; see
      for yourself where we are heading to; to Christ or to Satan?

      We have Mathew 16:13-23 for evening and Mark 8:27-33 for
      Holy Eucharist. Both have the same subject. Jesus asked two
      questions to his disciples (1) "Who do men say that I am," v13.
      (2) "Who do you say that I am," v15. For the first question the
      disciples said what they heard from the other people, that Jesus
      was prophet, John the Baptist, Elijah, Jeremiah, etc. For the
      second question, Peter said, "You are Christ, the Son of the
      living God." Jesus attested, not that Peter intellectually
      understood Jesus as the Christ, but God revealed to Peter. Jesus
      said, "Blessed are you Simon, You are Peter, upon this rock I
      will build my Church," etc. Church is founded on the Apostle's
      unwavering faith that Jesus is Christ, Son of the living God.
      "Holy Church, which is firmly established on the rock of faith,"
      St James Anaphora, 1C10:4, Eph 2:20.

      Over the centuries philosophers and intellectuals debated
      seriously who Jesus was and many heresies sprang up. Some said
      Jesus was a prophet, for others Jesus seemed like man but sort
      of phantom, for some he became Christ when he was baptized, yet
      others said he was good teacher, moralist, philosopher, and now
      pluralist!; the dispute is still alive. But for a faithful,
      Jesus is very God of very God, Lord and Savior. God is
      understood not by intellect but by revelation, hidden to the
      wise but revealed to children. Church is founded on this
      cardinal essence.

      Being Omniscient God he knew what the disciples and others
      thought, why then Jesus asked these questions? Disciples ought
      to know who they were and what others said about them. Let us
      think (1) 'who I am' and (2) 'what others say bout me'?
      Self-awareness is the greatest knowledge. The whole bible can be
      summarized, according to Dr S Radhakrishnan in one phrase, "Know
      thyself." Holy bible gives us self-knowledge more perfectly than
      all other books. "Our greatest protection is self-knowledge and
      to avoid the delusion that we are seeing ourselves when we are
      in reality looking at something else. This is what happens to
      those who do not scrutinize themselves. What they see is
      strength, beauty, reputation, political power, abundant wealth,
      pomp, self-importance, bodily stature, a certain grace of form
      or the life, and they think that this is what they are. Such
      persons make very poor guardians of themselves: because of their
      absorption in something else, they overlook what is their own
      and leave it unguarded. How can a person protect what he does
      not know? The most secure protection for our treasure is to know
      ourselves: each one must know himself as he is, and distinguish
      himself from all that is not he, that he may not unconsciously
      be protecting something else instead of himself," St Gregory
      Nyssa. Self-criticism is an effective self-cleansing tool to
      keep on the right path. When it is absent others will criticize
      and spoil one's fame and future. "Gnanar inthenth aar ithinapta
      bandhu, enthe bhalam, kim mama kalameth, maataarum
      aarennariyunna kaaryam, kaarthaahi bhumandala chakravarthi." St
      Paul defined the virtues of a deacon, "He must have good
      testimony among those who are outside," 1 Tim 3:7 which advise is
      applicable to all faithful.

      - Johnachen.