Re; Malankara’s Mythical Remixes: A Review-II

  • George Aramath, New York
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2006
      Mr. Georgy Thomas,

      From your second review, are you trying to prove that the Georgian church
      got its autocephaly at one point? I assume this is so. But how did this
      happen? Did they merely claim it on their own?

      Autocephaly is a popular word of our time. But it shouldn't be used
      loosely, for it comes with grave consequences. If approached incorrectly,
      it goes against our message of Christianity and tears communities and
      families apart.

      Someone told me that the Oriental Orthodox Churches in America should join
      together and claim autocephaly on their own and leave their ties with their
      Patriarchates. When you think about it, what can the Patriarchs do? Not
      much. BUT, I don't think it's as simply as this. If we claim to be a
      church, an ecclesia, we shouldn't act like a club or organization.

      There are proper ways of doing things and I definitely don't think the
      Orthodox Syrian Church showed us the model for this. There still is time to
      correct the mistakes of our past. By simple acts of Christian love, we can
      coexist. But this requires humbleness and the recognition that people and
      families come before property and wealth of this world. An act of Christian
      love can go a long, long way in binding our wounds.

      But then again, who wants to talk about Christian love?

      George Aramath
      St. Vladimir, New York